AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Reef builder for KH

Registered Member

Default Reef builder for KH

I came across a thread a little while back but can’t find it anymore where someone was saying they use reef builder to stabilize their Kh ph. It stabilizes it around 8.2 which is what my ph comes out to after being aged with 100 percent RO water. Has anyone use reef builder to stabilize their Kh? It’s super cheap on Kensfish website and was thinking of using it. I currently have been using CONTINUUM AQUATICS RECONSTITUTE RO DRY which provides Kh and gh along with other trace minerals but the tds is a bit high for my liking with that stuff. I’ve used reef builder before and can get a nice Kh and gh of around 4 Kh and 6 gh with a 150 tds but wanted to make sure reef builder was ok to
    Use. Thanks for any help fam!

Default Re: Reef builder for KH

Hi ,
    I haven't used that. Im sorry. But I am curious why you are using something at all? Is there a reason why you dont use R/O water mixed with a small amount of tap water? Generally many hobbyist will go something like 80% R/o to 20% tap or 90 to 10 if your water is really hard.

If you want to stabilize KH. You could also filter through crushed coral or oyster shells.. ive done that for years to add some kH to my grow out tanks.

-Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-28-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi ,
    I haven't used that. Im sorry. But I am curious why you are using something at all? Is there a reason why you dont use R/O water mixed with a small amount of tap water? Generally many hobbyist will go something like 80% R/o to 20% tap or 90 to 10 if your water is really hard.

If you want to stabilize KH. You could also filter through crushed coral or oyster shells.. ive done that for years to add some kH to my grow out tanks.

-Al
    I have mixed my well water with my RO water in the past without issues but wanted to experiment on using straight RO water and then remineralizing it with replenish seachem and discus trace. My well water has a lot of minerals in it which I’m sure isn’t terrible but I get algae buildup easily with it mixed in my RO water. I wanted to experiment growing out Asian discus who seem to enjoy lower tds water than Germans, with just remineralized RO water at around 150 tds and a Kh of 4 and gh of 6-8. When I mix in my welp water even at 90/10 my Kh goes up to around 14-15 and gh to 20. I also raise wild altums so try to keep the same water for all my tanks the same.

Makes sense if thats your goal, but honestly asian discus are really not any different than german discus as far as the water they will thrive in. Many people here raise asian discus lines in water thats practically liquid rock. Its far more important the water is clean and stable...

I looked at reefbuilders ingredients and it doesn't look like there is anything there that will be harmful to discus.. If you do use it..maybe you could start a journal thread here..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Tank-Journals

It would be great to follow along.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Makes sense if thats your goal, but honestly asian discus are really not any different than german discus as far as the water they will thrive in. Many people here raise asian discus lines in water thats practically liquid rock. Its far more important the water is clean and stable...

I looked at reefbuilders ingredients and it doesn't look like there is anything there that will be harmful to discus.. If you do use it..maybe you could start a journal thread here..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Tank-Journals

It would be great to follow along.

Al
    I could do that. I’ve been using for a few weeks now and it’s very solid. Fish seem very happy. If you have a naturally higher ph even from your RO, it’s pretty ideal since it stabilizes your ph at 8.2 with a Kh of 4 and gh of 4-6. I’ve raised discus in straight well water, and mixed RO and well water with 80-100 percent daily water to bi daily changes and they always grew but a lot would never turn out to be specimens and would get deformed fins at times and just didn’t seem to thrive which is why I’m doing 100 percent RO remineralized now and the results so far have been really good. Living on well water can be unpredictable with what can end up in the water so I feel being able to know exactly what is in my water is the better way to go and gives me much more piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicsus34 View Post
    I came across a thread a little while back but can’t find it anymore where someone was saying they use reef builder to stabilize their Kh ph. It stabilizes it around 8.2 which is what my ph comes out to after being aged with 100 percent RO water. Has anyone use reef builder to stabilize their Kh? It’s super cheap on Kensfish website and was thinking of using it. I currently have been using CONTINUUM AQUATICS RECONSTITUTE RO DRY which provides Kh and gh along with other trace minerals but the tds is a bit high for my liking with that stuff. I’ve used reef builder before and can get a nice Kh and gh of around 4 Kh and 6 gh with a 150 tds but wanted to make sure reef builder was ok to
    Use. Thanks for any help fam!
    I have been talking with Jack Kent that formulated the Continuum Aquatics Reconstitute RO and the Brightwell Aquatics Remineraliz P same formula for both same product. The GH measured in his formula has a lot higher TDS since it contains other minerals that don't show up in the API GH test but show as TDS. He said it was formulated to mimic the Amazonian waters. My issue is if you go by TDS do you have the correct mineral content that the fish will thrive. I been using Seachem Replenish with I guess is straight GH like Continuum Aquatics Flora Viv GH+ and Brightwell Aquatics Florin Delta GH+ he told me that they are straight GH. Jack also formulated the Kent Marine R/O Right with I think Kent Marine discontinued he sold that formula to them in 2004. I was testing with remineralize cartridges but I don't trust them not made in the US and who knows the chemistry involved.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th