AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Slaty shrimp Kh gh for RO water anyone?

Registered Member

Default Slaty shrimp Kh gh for RO water anyone?

Anyone use this to use with their RO water? Im experimenting with growing out juvie discus with remineralized RO water and was going to use salty shrimp to establish the Kh and gh. I also add discus trace as well. I have grown out discus with RO/well water mix and have had mixed results so wanted to try out using all RO water remineralized. I aim for a 150-200 tds, and have a ph around 7.9 with a Kh of 4 and gh of 6. I now have quite the setup in my fish room as I recently installed a whole house UV filter, have two whole house pre filters that supplies the whole home and then have another three stage sediment filter that I setup from my sink right before the RO unit. I age my water for 24-48 hours. I have a holding tank of 150 gallons and can get 200 gallons of RO water per day thanks to my booster pump. I am on well water that can get who knows what in it at times with their being farms around me so this is why I have so many filters, have the uv filter and do RO water. Our well water is actually really good but even when I mix it with my RO water I get pretty crazy algae problems even in my unplanted growout tanks. I also raise wild altums and wild Santa Isabel angels so this is another reason I stick with RO water.

I was basically wondering if anyone used the salty shrimp Kh gh for their RO water for their breeding tanks or if anyone uses it even for their growout tanks who have not the greatest tap water. Thanks for any help

Default Re: Slaty shrimp Kh gh for RO water anyone?

I have had no experience with that product but I have grown out my homebred 3 week old babies to adulthood in 100% RO with no additives. Hope that helps.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have had no experience with that product but I have grown out my homebred 3 week old babies to adulthood in 100% RO with no additives. Hope that helps.
    How were you able to avoid ph swings? How did they get the minerals they need? It’s funny you say this because my friend Willie who is a member on here has told me to do the same with just doing straight RO with no additives but I don’t have the balls to do so. The only time I’ve tried it is with a breeedijg pair I had but they actually did great.

All I did was change water every day.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    All I did was change water every day.
    I suppose that would work. Thanks for the input 😊😊 I may make a thread on using the salty shrimp and journal things down.