AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotten Fins and Inflammatory Gill

Registered Member

Default Rotten Fins and Inflammatory Gill

Hello Everyone,
    Without wasting any time let me tell get straight to the point. I have a few discus fishes which I got from a friend as he was moving to another country. Now I am extremely new to Discus fishes and have no idea about taking care of them. When the fishes reached me they seemed ok but since a coupe of weeks ago I realised that two of my discus fish are not the same anymore. SO let me put it point wise:

1. Red Discus Fish: The first picture in the attachment is the fish I am really concerned about. This beautiful red discus wish has almost lost it's color, stays in the back side of the aquarium (it comes out occasionally to eat, but that's it). I see the fins cut or rotting. I had a camera set up one day to see if it was being attacked but nope, none of the discus fish in the aquarium are aggressive towards each other. CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT IS THE CAUSE AND IS THERE A WAY TO TREAT IT?

2. Yellow Discus: The Third Picture is of the yellow discus fish which has a red color on it's nose and the gills area seem to be purple in color. Is there anything to worry? If it's a disease any suggestion to cure it will be highly appreciated.

My water parameters are pretty stable with: PH@6.4, NO2@0, NO3@10, CL2@0.2mg/l, KH@10, GH@less than 16 (It's a little high but I believe it should be ok). Please kindly let me know about the water parameters if anyone feels anything is inappropriate.

Thanks

Regards
    Sajeev
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rotten Fins and Inflammatory Gill

Hmmm okay lets start with the red one . That fish has been in decline a very long time. Its very emaciated and sadly is beyound help. Its just not in good enough health to be saved. I am sorry.

Some strains of discus that have pale faces gets whats known as pink noses and their gills can be also.. its not necesary a sign of overt illness but water quality has been a suspect... what kind of water changes do you do and can you post pics of all the discus in the tank? It may help us see signs of an over all health issue.

Thanks,
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

How long have you had them? Are they eating for you. The red guy hasn’t ate in months. What is your water temp?

Registered Member

I have had them for about 2 months now. They are eating. Surprisingly The red guy is the first one to go after the food. I feed them Blood worms once a week and the tetra bits complete thrice a day. My water temps are usually around 30 C or 86 F.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    How long have you had them? Are they eating for you. The red guy hasn’t ate in months. What is your water temp?
    I have had them for about 2 months now. They are eating. Surprisingly The red guy is the first one to go after the food. I feed them Blood worms once a week and the tetra bits complete thrice a day. My water temps are usually around 30 C or 86 F.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok if eating I’d say they’ve got worms. Start medicating with prazi. It’s a wormer. For it to be that thin and still eating it must have worms. If it’s got them they’ve all got them so you need to treat the whole tank. Another med is absolute wormer.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hmmm okay lets start with the red one . That fish has been in decline a very long time. Its very emaciated and sadly is beyound help. Its just not in good enough health to be saved. I am sorry.

Some strains of discus that have pale faces gets whats known as pink noses and their gills can be also.. its not necesary a sign of overt illness but water quality has been a suspect... what kind of water changes do you do and can you post pics of all the discus in the tank? It may help us see signs of an over all health issue.

Thanks,
    AL
    Oh Ok. That's sad as far as the Red Discus go, however I will still try and see if it can be saved.(, just bought a 15 gallon aquarium to quarantine it for a couple of days and see if it works.

As far as the water changes go I haven't been able to change the water regularly since January first week due to a few tragedies in the family. However I am sure my water parameters are more or less ok. Have two Canister Filters and Two Heaters maintaining a constant temperature and water quality all through out. I check the PH levels regularly and they stay pretty much at 6.4. Nitrate levels are also at check. Please kindly find the pictures of my aquarium overall so that you can give me a better insight on this.

Thanks for taking time and helping me out.

Regards

Sajeev
    IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Well discus demand at least 2 50% water changes a week. A month without a water change is way too long. Don’t need a qt tank it’s not the only one in bad shape. Treat the whole tank with a wormer to start.

Registered Member

Ok if eating I’d say they’ve got worms. Start medicating with prazi. It’s a wormer. For it to be that thin and still eating it must have worms. If it’s got them they’ve all got them so you need to treat the whole tank. Another med is absolute wormer.
    Sorry to bother you, is Prazi and Praziquantel all the same? I can only see Praziquantel here. Is there any mg dose I should be aware of? Sorry to bother you but I am really new to this.

Thanks and Regards
    Sajeev

Real Name
    Brian

Yes it's the same. The dose is 1 gram per 100g or 1/4 teaspoon per 40g.

Registered Member

Is Trichlorfon going to be ok? Any idea?

Real Name
    Brian

I wouldn't use that for this issue. Trichlorfon is an insecticide commercially named Dylox. It used to be used under the name Fluke Tabs. It's been taken off the market for aquarium use.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I wouldn't use that for this issue. Trichlorfon is an insecticide commercially named Dylox. It used to be used under the name Fluke Tabs. It's been taken off the market for aquarium use.
    Oh Ok. Thank You.

Regards
    Sajeev

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Yes it's the same. The dose is 1 gram per 100g or 1/4 teaspoon per 40g.
    Sorry I didn’t get the dosage, did you mean 1pm per 100 litres of water?

There’s another medicine which I saw locally here, I think it’s called Wormer X Levamisole or something, will that be fine as well?

Real Name
    Brian

The metric conversion would be 1 gram for 378.5 litres. I'm not sure if you use teaspoons, but it's 1/4 teaspoon for 151 litres. Sorry, I don't know how to convert teaspoon to gram because the weight of the med comes into play.

Prazi is a good med as it'll clear up flukes and tapeworms if present. I think Levamisole would be more targeted in this situation (roundworm, capillaria) but it's not so easy on the fish and it may not survive the treatment.

Also, any treatment should be done in a bare bottom tank with lights off. A 50% water change between treatments and wiping down the tank surfaces. This helps avoid reinfestation from ingesting eggs. I would treat all your fish at once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast