ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fresh water shrimp reputable sources

Default Fresh water shrimp reputable sources

I've kept cherry shrimp and crystal red shrimp in the past as well as Amano and glass shrimp. But that was quite a few years ago. Looking around recently it seems shrimps are all the rage. So many forms to choose.. its very tempting. I enjoyed just your basic cherry shrimp alot and was thinking of starting a tank... but talk about muddying the waters!

Looks like a bazillion sellers of shrimp out there now.. even on Amazon and ebay! Where have you bought shrimp and were you happy with the shrimp and service? Where would you get shrimp if buying today?

Thanks,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Fresh water shrimp reputable sources

You are right. There are a bazillion shrimp sellers. I've personally used Flip Aquatics and Aqua Huna with good results. Also, Aquabid has some good sellers. I've bought from 55galman and Dhu32. The sellers on Aquabid tend to sell nice quality with lots of extras thrown in.

Real Name
    Mervin

I see them on kijiji ads here. They have all colors from home bred sellers and are local.

Registered Member

Anyone place these dwarf shrimp in with their discus?
    I was recently turned onto Bamboo/Flower shrimp. I have about 6 in my discus tank - grow to between 2-3 inches. Always munching on detritus and hang out on the sponge filter

Real Name
    Tom

Good info Andy. I didn’t think those shrimp could handle the warm water. What’s the lifespan? As for keeping cherry shrimp with discus. Yes I do. Discus will eat them if they catch them but the shrimp learn quick how to hide.

Al I just keep reds but if you’re looking for some let me know. I trade with members on another site just to keep the shrimp strong. But reall only keep them to add to my other tanks and sumps. They eat algae all day long .

Registered Member

My big tank is kept at 83.
    Flower shrimp can last 2-3 years.
    Nearly impossible to breed as the tiny babies need brackish water column for first months of life.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Good info Andy. I didn’t think those shrimp could handle the warm water. What’s the lifespan? As for keeping cherry shrimp with discus. Yes I do. Discus will eat them if they catch them but the shrimp learn quick how to hide.

Al I just keep reds but if you’re looking for some let me know. I trade with members on another site just to keep the shrimp strong. But reall only keep them to add to my other tanks and sumps. They eat algae all day long .
    I do have or at least I have tried large amano shrimp in the tank but have no idea whether or not they’ve survived.
    My wilds are constantly on the hunt and look up and down the driftwood, base of plants, even pick around Java moss.