ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tank light

Registered Member

Default tank light

I have a grow out tank with 5 , 5 month old fish. The lights are from a time I use the the tank to
    grow tomato seedlings. Now it's a fish tank.
    The lights I use were a gro lux and I think a full spectrum.
    Anyway, these lights do not show the true colors of the fish to my mind.
    What would be a good florescence light to bring out pattern and color. The old standby shop lite?
    I should add the tank is bare bottom.
    Jay

Default Re: tank light

Jay if you want to use the same hood its getting tough to find good bulbs.. you are limited to warm white which is a bit too orange for me or cold/cool white which is a bit too blue but I always went with the cold white basic shoplights for my tanks.

Now theres many inexpensive LED lights and I have used a bunch. For a stand alone ..ready to go I picked up this one on Amazon.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_title
    Which I like alot. There are many other ones out there too.

I also picked uo a bunch of cheap LED strips and used them to convert my older fluorescent hoods to LED. The results were good but the LED were junk and burned out after a year or two.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Led lights are the way to go. They run cheaper and last so much longer. Thing is some of these can get real expensive. Next some are cheap. Thing is many of the cheap ones work great for our needs. I’ve used the aquaneet and vivagrow 24/7. Their lights have lasted 5+ years now. I’ve got more expensive finnex lights that have also lasted. The finnex is a mid priced fixture. I use the HLC and Planted Plus models. Next hygger 957 lights. Cheaper than finnex and fully programable. These lights are your best bang for your buck. Many different color settings and an 8 stage timer. That takes 15 min to come to the set brightness and 15 min to go off at night. Slow increasing and decreasing the light intensity. Just a great light.

Registered Member

Thanks all. Will check all off them out
    Jay

Real Name
    Jacob

I agree with Tom on the Hyggers with programmable screen. The manual 8 stages is kind of hidden, but easy to use. Mine sometimes get a little quirky if I do something manually, but they snap out of it easy enough.
    Nothing wrong with a timer and a simple on/off though. I have a 48" light from Aquarium Co-Op on a 55 and it's pretty good so far.