AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to need a new aquarium

Real Name
    Dave

Default Going to need a new aquarium

So I am going to need a taller aquarium. Right now I have a standard 75 gallon that is 48 inches long.

I am wanting 48x18x36 as I just sourced some Altum Angelfish, and they can get 30 inches from fin tip to tip.

I am not opposed to buying a good quality used tank.

I am looking for resources as some of the quotes I have received for a new tank are outlandish.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Default Re: Going to need a new aquarium

Dave,
    I pretty much find all my tanks used on craigslist.. but if havent looked yet... check out glasscages.com.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Al-
    I got a 120gal used oceanic that is pretty old but built like a tank. Do you reseal your used tanks? I’m thinking I probably should have with mine.

Registered Member

I too have a couple of glass “TANKS”. One is a “show” tank, not sure if it is oceanic, got it used, but I love the height. 48 inches long, 13 inches wide, 30 inches tall. If it were 18 inches wide it would be better, but still a nice tank. Another cool thing is the wrought iron stand is also a showpiece, at 18 inches tall, it keeps the “TANK” at a height you can still reach over the top for maintenance.

Registered Member

And speaking of glass cages tanks, at work we had a glass cages six foot by 2 foot by 2 foot with built in overflow, stand and lifeguard filtration that was part of a surplus auction. I can’t remember if the winning bid was two dollars and fifty cents or three dollars and fifty cents. Held water, no leaks. Just as heavy as, well you can imagine with all that thick glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicgup View Post
    And speaking of glass cages tanks, at work we had a glass cages six foot by 2 foot by 2 foot with built in overflow, stand and lifeguard filtration that was part of a surplus auction. I can’t remember if the winning bid was two dollars and fifty cents or three dollars and fifty cents. Held water, no leaks. Just as heavy as, well you can imagine with all that thick glass.
    Wow! Feel free to post on the forum anytime work finds themselves needing to auction off tanks and equipment!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Al-
    I got a 120gal used oceanic that is pretty old but built like a tank. Do you reseal your used tanks? I’m thinking I probably should have with mine.
    Generally if its not leaking I dont mess with them.. but the silicone beads on my tanks are definitely not pretty.. some have to be 15 + years old.

The problem with resealing is if you really want to do it right you need to literally strip the caulk bead you can see.. then separate the glass panels... clean and re-apply its alot of work. At most I will strip the caulk bead and reapply caulk .. this fixes very minor drip type leaks... anything serious as a leak and that tank becomes a reptile tank.. I have been at the receiving end of a 75 gal tank when it let loose.. it was a mess!

AL

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Yes- I left it be- but I do appreciate beading in the silicone seems- so I’m nervous.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Yes- I left it be for reasons you mentioned. When I was kid I resealed an aquarium but didn’t do it the right way. I do appreciate beading in the silicone seems- so I’m nervous. Hopefully it continues to hold!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    So I am going to need a taller aquarium. Right now I have a standard 75 gallon that is 48 inches long.

I am wanting 48x18x36 as I just sourced some Altum Angelfish, and they can get 30 inches from fin tip to tip.

I am not opposed to buying a good quality used tank.

I am looking for resources as some of the quotes I have received for a new tank are outlandish.
    A 110 extra high (XH) has the same footprint as your 75 but is 30” tall. You can use the same stand which is a plus.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    A 110 extra high (XH) has the same footprint as your 75 but is 30” tall. You can use the same stand which is a plus.
    I have a 110 Gal which is perfect for altum angels. When I call my local fish store to get another one just last week and was told that they're no longer manufactured due to premature failures. I've kept mine for ~5 years with daily water changes and have had no problems - but maybe I'm just lucky.

The 90 Gal tank is still available at 27" tall. Alternatively, you'll have to find a used 90. Best option is to check with your local aquarium club.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I'm going to try resealing what I think is a 55 Gallon Oceanic. I wasn't going to take it apart because it is still together really good and has no leaks. But the bead inside is in terrible shape!

I was going to use a black silicone. What brand/type does everybosy use?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbs View Post
    I'm going to try resealing what I think is a 55 Gallon Oceanic. I wasn't going to take it apart because it is still together really good and has no leaks. But the bead inside is in terrible shape!

I was going to use a black silicone. What brand/type does everybosy use?
    Hey Kirby, Good to see you! Hope all is well with you!

I have been using Apel.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    apel.png

not sure they have it black though

Theres a black one on Amazon that is made by ASI (American Sealants Inc) that has good reviews..

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I'm doing well. I haven't had any fish in a year though......just too busy! But I'm going to start this one up with just some basic fish.....wilds of course! I'm going to retire soon so I plan on getting more going....but then I'm going to be traveling more too. I have a lot I want to see yet!

I'll check these out tonight while I'm at work!

Real Name
    Dave

I have looked at Glass Cages and another company... what I am looking for is price prohibitive due to the shipping costs from the east coast to NE Oregon.

However, I haven't given up... My stand will accommodate 200 pounds easily, is on castors, has a 60x30 top. 30 inches would just work, but I think due to substrate and possibility of fish size that 33 or 36 high would be better.

That said I may source the glass and frames as I am sure I can either have metal frames made or source pre-made frames for a 75 gallon.

I have time so will keep my eyes on Craigslist, etc.....

In other news my youngest wants an aquarium in his room so we are going to set up a 20 gallon tall with some Tetras and checkerboard cichlids (all South American).
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast