AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Canister filter power for discus fish aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Canister filter power for discus fish aquarium

For an aquarium 24 inches wide by 24 inches height by 56 inches long what output power canister will be more than adequate.

Registered Member

Default Re: Canister filter power for discus fish aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by ganesan View Post
    For an aquarium 24 inches wide by 24 inches height by 56 inches long what output power canister will be more than adequate.
    My tank is about those dimensions, 150 gallons or so. Have you considered a sump? I’d recommend you to have 1200-1500gph of flow. I guess you could do an fx6 and an fx4 but a sump is so much easier to keep clean.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

I would go with an FX6 for that size. Might be a good idea to use the spray bar attachment in case the flow is too strong for your discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Thanks for your reply. Guess FX 6 is good enough with a spray bar.

Real Name
    Tom

Got to say I had an FX6 on a 125 and hated it! Hated it! It’s really just an over rated and hyped filter. Its flow rate is when empty. It gives you a massive area for media but doesn’t explain that the more media you add the slower the flow. If not cleaned regularly the flow also reduces. The only good thing about it is the fact that it’s so hyped. I had mine for 2+ yrs and sold it for $50 less. So theres that! As stated a sump with your standard hob overflow will be much better filtration. You can buy one of these off marketplace for cheap and put it together yourself. Last year I bought an old amiracle for $60. With eshopps overflow and a Jabao dc pump this was cheaper than the fx6.D44A031C-338C-4F04-9A13-7151DC0461E9.jpgkeeps the tank clean.A5D20071-4111-4B6B-AE98-D9AA7DA263DB.jpg. And for a second filter you’ll see in the left corner I have a odyssea 350. This is an internal filter that works fantastic. Moves 350gph has 2 sponges and acts like a water polisher. I clean sponges at every water change. Next both sponges after in your tank for a month are full of beneficial bacteria. So if you need to set up a qt tank remove a sponge and add it to qt tank for instant cycled tank . I have a 250 odyssea for qt. These filter are cheap $20-25 shipped and last long.