ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Discus dying. Can't Keep them. URGENT.

Registered Member

Default Re: All Discus dying. Can't Keep them. URGENT.

Thanks for the suggestions. I get what you are saying and I will do all of which you have mentioned. I will upgrade my filtration I promise.

But I don't get it how can 15 discus, some living for 3 years, die in a span of weeks? I don't buy large discus, I bought all of them at 2 or 2.5 inches. And how can the new discus I got die within one week? I have always kept my eyes on the ammonia and nitrite and nitrates... Could it be Discus plague, I have no clue. Potassium permanganate can be blamed but not on the new batch. How in the heck are balloon rams and rummy noses still alive? Are there ghosts that hates the discus in my tank? I don't know... What could the water suppliers have added that can ONLY affect discus? No clue.

Quote Originally Posted by discus2501 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I get what you are saying and I will do all of which you have mentioned. I will upgrade my filtration I promise.

But I don't get it how can 15 discus, some living for 3 years, die in a span of weeks? I don't buy large discus, I bought all of them at 2 or 2.5 inches. And how can the new discus I got die within one week? I have always kept my eyes on the ammonia and nitrite and nitrates... Could it be Discus plague, I have no clue. Potassium permanganate can be blamed but not on the new batch. How in the heck are balloon rams and rummy noses still alive? Are there ghosts that hates the discus in my tank? I don't know... What could the water suppliers have added that can ONLY affect discus? No clue.
    If dissolved oxygen dropped in the water, it could affect the larger fish more than the smaller ones .. what could cause this? Inadequate aeration for the demands of the tank. Chemicals that use up oxygen could also. I don't believe its Discus Plague as its often described... this sounds like a poison or lack of oxygen...or both.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    If dissolved oxygen dropped in the water, it could affect the larger fish more than the smaller ones .. what could cause this? Inadequate aeration for the demands of the tank. Chemicals that use up oxygen could also. I don't believe its Discus Plague as its often described... this sounds like a poison or lack of oxygen...or both.
    The water supplier here uses alum, liquid chlorine and cold lime to treat the water. They have also said some chemicals that are released from factories to the rivers are not always possible to fully neutralize. They do use ion exchanger and always recommends to boil, use RO water with mineralization for drinking. They switch from surface water to underground water from time to time. The surface water is the main issue. The treatment can't always remove heavy metals abound to the water.

Registered Member

They are also using a lot more of chlorine, alum and cold lime right now.

Im afraid with all those changes they make, it would be best for you to use RO. If you can't drink it, the fish for sure can't live in it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Alum is used to remove phosphates and radioactive isotopes. If it's used at higher levels it can become toxic. I'm not sure if a simple carbon block would help or not, but it seems RO is your best solution, especially at times they are adding additional elements to your water supply. Usually when the seasons change...

Registered Member

UPDATE: I took everything out of the tank including the fishes and dried it for 2 days. Wiped the glass and again dried it for a few days. I am adding Seachem stability to help with the loss of beneficial bacteria.

This time I filled up the tank and added excessive sodium thiosulfate/ dechlorinator. I bought a RO unit with 75 gallons per day membrane but I didn't use it yet. I used the same tap water because storage was an issue for me.

However, I have added 4 new 2 inch discus. They are eating agressively and breathing normally. I plan on adding more soon.

Thanks to everyone who came forward to help.

Registered Member

And I forgot to mention, I have kept the Rummynose and balloon rams seperately in another tank.

I think with the water quality you have there the RO water unit with a commercial remineralizer makes good sense.

Another alternative to research is an HMA water filter. These are used alot in europe from my understanding but not so much here in the USA. I am not sure of their availibilty in your country but from what I have read could be what you need as an alternative to RO.
    Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

The RO unit I have bought already goes through HMA filtration before it reaches the actual RO membrane. I can just remove the RO membrane and use the HMA filter. The HMA water filtration won't need storage tanks since I can use it directly with the tap. Thanks for the suggestion Al.

(Anyways, English is not my first language so I apologize if I'm hard to understand)

You are welcome!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12