AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Re-sealing tanks

Default Re-sealing tanks

I should know this, but I've forgotten. How long after re-siliconing a tank before I should test to see whether or not it holds water, and how long before it's safe to put fish in the tanks.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Re-sealing tanks

Liz, I leave them filled to the brim outside on 2x4's or 4x4s on driveway pavement for a week or 2 to be extra safe. I also wait an extra 48hrs on top of recommended fully cure duration before filling. I order silicone to a strength stronger than whatever tank I'm doing. Don't forget to seriously scrape the crap out of ALL old silicone. Don't just do the side it leaks because it will not bond where old silicone meets it. Use plenty of nail polish remover before applying new stuff:P. I know that's more than you asked for... I'm really just reminding myself not to cut corners
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

What is " I order silicone to a strength stronger than whatever tank I'm doing."? Can you post a link to different strength silicone sealants?

Registered Member

Forget the nail polish remover, just go buy a can of acetone at the home stores, much cheaper per ounce. I also redo the entire tank as mentioned silicone doesn't stick or bond to old silicone. I also wait several days before water and do as suggested and fill to the brim and wait another week or more(why rush) before I bring into the fish room.. I've never had a failure but I'd much rather have it outside and without any stock or other stuff in the tank.
    I've personally only used GE food grade 100% silicone. It's got no chemicals (mildicide/ algicide) in it.

I used GE I as well, pitdog, and I re-did the entire tanks. I know the process as I've done it many times before I just forgot how long to wait between sealing and adding water. Thanks for the info, gentlemen.
    Mama Bear