AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Check my work - double tank stand

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Default Check my work - double tank stand

Before I start on this project I wanted to get a few others' opinions. I have one wall of the home office where I can put my tanks, a 150 gallon long and a 75. The 150 will be a show tank, the 75 will be a breeding tank. The wall is 9.5 feet long, so I can't put them side by side. So, I have to stack them. I've come up with this rough plan of how to build out the 2x4 and plywood frame to support these 2 tanks (will add nice paneling and trim afterwards, just concerned with the engineering for now). Please see my rough sketchup, and my apologies for the blurry picture. I'm getting a new phone this week and picture quality will improve greatly!

20230213_111534.jpg

The biggest issue has been hiding all the equipment while keeping things functional for the fish. I plan to run an FX6, Tidal 110, 2 300 watt heaters, and a 48" LED on the 150 gallon. The 75 gallon will be running 2 Tidal 110s, 1 300 watt heater, and a 36" LED. The plan includes how I will roughly build this following the King of DIY's stand blueprints, modified for my setup. I've built several stands before and have access to all the tools I need. My biggest concern is the 4 feet of unsupported space where the 75 will go, but I do plan on reinforcing the ends and back of the stand to account for the empty space up front.

Thoughts? Anything obvious I'm missing? Also, I was able to paint the back of both tanks this weekend under the strict supervision of the Water Change Supervisor (Mochi) and Assistant to the Water Change Supervisor (Miso).

20230209_201639.jpg
    20230212_013245.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Check my work - double tank stand

Southern yellow pine is much better than the "white wood" 2x lumber at the big box store.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Southern yellow pine is much better than the "white wood" 2x lumber at the big box store.
    Good tip! Think I used the generic white wood stuff on my last stand and that thing definitely had some give I did not appreciate.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

I like the black! What kind of paint did you use? I am looking into that right now.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbs View Post
    I like the black! What kind of paint did you use? I am looking into that right now.
    I used an exterior all purpose latex paint from the mom and pop hardware store... I would not recommend it. It was all they had that might work for what I needed. It took a long time to dry between coats and didn't stick to the glass well, but in the end I made it work.

I've used cheap exterior acrylic paint on past tanks and it's worked much better and cost less. I try to support local small business as much as I can but sometimes the big box stores have better selection.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Josh, first I do not build stuff but would suggest the following;

1. Are you supporting where the tanks with a solid bottom (plywood etc)?
    2. Be sure to allow enough headroom above the 75 so you can easily get into and out of the tank for water changes etc.
    3. Allow enough room to mount your power strip either on the side or back of the cabinet while being able to reach it easily.

Sounds like a fun project and looking forward to updates.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

Cats in images? I'm sold! It sounds like a great project and it's good to see you're thinking much further ahead with drawing things up before pulling the trigger.

I agree with all of Pat's comments. If you like to turn things off while doing maintenance as I did, especially since you'll be running heaters in tanks and HOBs/Canisters, I would recommend getting some smart plugs or smart power strips. I've had lots of success with these Kasa Smart Plug Power Strips. It allows you to individually control each one with physical buttons on the device, each one through the app (works with Google Home natively), or you can group outlets together (i.e. group the HOBs and heater for the 75 in one group, hit one button, and they all turn off). You can create schedules for your lighting as well.

My only concern would be the length of span for the 150 on top. With just water, that tank will weigh around 1200 lbs. I might be overly cautious, but the 4ft span for any 2x material and that much weight would have me a little nervous and I would probably put an extra vertical support in there somewhere. Yep, it would also ruin the view of the 75.

Real Name
    Jacob

Kasa Smart Strips (and plugs, depending on what you need) are incredible! Highly recommend if you're doing anything where you've got to run around and plug/unplug or remember to plug something back in or turn it on. Additionally, you can program them for lighting and turn things on/off for feeding. I use them constantly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Good tips Pat. I'm planning 12-15" above each tank so I have space to work with, especially taking the media baskets out of the HOBs when it's time for cleaning. There will be plywood sheets on the bottom of the stand, below the 75, and below the 150 to help with structural integrity and a perfectly flat surface for the tanks to rest on. Great tip on the smart strips! I was going to use regular old surge protectors but that's so much "smarter" to use those.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

The cats love the fish, Jake, especially when I'm changing water. Will be fun for them to have a tank at ground level (the 75) so they can see them up close.

Going with the smart strips for sure. Regarding the 4 foot span, I'm considering modifying this plan by moving the 75 to the center of the stand and having 12" of supports on either side of the 150 and greatly reinforcing the cross beams it rests on. I really don't want to obscure the view of the 75! Will have to make the stand wider obviously if I want to do that, and have an FX6 on each side of the 75 (eventually, those things are expensive and I just have the one now).

Might alter this plan and have 9 feet of cabinets for the 150 to rest on and hold the the 75, filters, storage etc and build up 2 narrow bookcases on either side. Appreciate the input on the structure though! Biggest concern of course is to make sure this thing is structurally sound.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Mocked up version 2 of this project. Included this time are bookshelves on either side of the 150 for extra storage (will be easy to make with some quality plywood cut into boards) and room for 2 eventual FX6s. With 15" of supports on either end of the 75 I think this will work a lot better support wise and still allow the 75 to have an unobstructed view. Thoughts?
    20230215_085751.jpg