AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fry Dieing at 4 to 5 days of Hatching

Registered Member

Question Fry Dieing at 4 to 5 days of Hatching

Hello, I have a problem I cannot figure out.
    I have 2 breeding pairs who have started breeding. One pair is on their 7th try, and one pair is just starting. My problem is: The fry start to die off when they start to free-swim around (about 4-5 days after hatching). Once they reach the free-swimming stage, and they start exploring, they start to die off ad by the next day they are all gone! I cannot tell if the adults are eating them, but I do not think they are. They could be, but after watching them for a while I don't think they are eating the fry. I try to change the water frequently without disturbing the pairs. I have noticed that the free-swimming fry are not swarming around the adults like they should be? Is this a factor? Am I not changing my water enough?

Default Re: Fry Dieing at 4 to 5 days of Hatching

Are the pairs Pigeon Bloods? Fry have a harder time attaching to PB's because they can't get dark. I suggest that you turn off the tank lights before the fry start to free swim and remove anything dark in the tank. Many times if the pair doesn't turn dark and the darkest thing in the tank the babies will attach to it, then die. The fish can do without a sponge filter during the day until they figure out that their food comes from their parents, but do put in an air stone. Put the sponge back in at night.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Do they ever attach? Fry are born nearly blind ans as Liz said, they are attracted to dark objects. On my PB's I keeps light off and lower the water level until they attach.

Registered Member

The fry are dieing because their egg sac are empty(eating off the egg sac) and the parents doesn't want to care for the babies. This usually does happen on day 5, once you feel your are over the hump they are gone.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 02-14-2023 at 03:20 PM.