AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A word to the wise

Default A word to the wise

If you re-seal a tank get it right the first time! I found out the hard way.

I'm an old hand at re-sealing tanks. After all, some of mine are 20 years old. I had a 10 and a 29 I had to re-seal. I did the scraping off with razor blades, cleaning with acetone, and vacuuming out every molecule of loose silicone.

My over confidence got me when I applied the new silicone. I let the stuff cure for a few days, filled the 29 and it was fine. Then I filled the 10. It immediately started leaking from one of the bottom corners. I kicked myself, but "knew" that I could easily do it over.

It turns on that nothing is more difficult than scraping off new silicone. It still has it's flexibility. It wants to stick to the glass, not come off.

I started yesterday, got tired of it, worked on it more today and I can still see the haze of silicone on the glass. Now I'm tired of it again. I'll let the last bit of haze harden over night and have at it again tomorrow. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but this little 10 gallon tank might just be the death of me. Do not make the same mistake
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: A word to the wise

I've tried 2 tanks and both failed. I'm usually pretty good at odd jobs but I guess not resealing tanks, lol...

Registered Member

I've never wasted my time on small 10gal tanks. Heck too many Petco, Pet Smarts have $1 a gallon sales too often. My time is worth money and a new tank for $10, heck the silicone costs half that. The smallest tank I'll do is 30 gallon anymore.

Real Name
    Jake

I'm lucky enough to be close to a petsmart/petco where they do the $1/gallon sale for tanks up to 29 gallons and then half off for larger tanks so I've also never gotten the itch to reseal a tank smaller than a 40.

Back when I was quite a bit younger, I resealed a 75 or 90 and it held water for a week with no leaks. Still never trusted my handiwork and it went empty for years until someone took it off my hands and used it for a reptile enclosure.