ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Do you own a camera?

Default Do you own a camera?

Title says it all.. "do you own a camera? " but what I mean is one other than a smart phone. Other than your phone what do you shoot?

Me, well Im a bit old school..I shoot some film still..black and white mostly. I am a pentax guy first and foremost for film and digital..Im also a Nikon guy "gasp" but mostly out of need to use certain lenses I could not get with Pentax. Nikon has grown on me alot. I shoot nikon d200,d300,d7500, and d500. I am a dslr shooter. I doubt I will ever "upgrade " to mirrorless ... i like looking through the viewfinder. I know Pat has been using mirrorless a bit now with great results..
    How about you.. do any of you take pictures with anything other than your phone?
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Do you own a camera?

I have a Nikon D80. I'm just not much good with it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

No, I don't own "A" camera.... I own many, all Pentax, some film some digital, some APS-C sensors, some full frame sensors, and one medium format sensor.

I also try to buy most of my camera gear used from reputable dealers (B&H, KEH) so I have confidence it will work when I get it.

I just earned just shy of 190.00 for three hours work with my camera (shooting and editing).

I only use a camera phone for documentary type shots when I don't want to break out the real cameras.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    No, I don't own "A" camera.... I own many, all Pentax, some film some digital, some APS-C sensors, some full frame sensors, and one medium format sensor.

I also try to buy most of my camera gear used from reputable dealers (B&H, KEH) so I have confidence it will work when I get it.

I just earned just shy of 190.00 for three hours work with my camera (shooting and editing).

I only use a camera phone for documentary type shots when I don't want to break out the real cameras.
    Well.. thats $190 more than I ever made for one of my images ..lol .

That aside KEH, usedphotopro.com,mpb.com, b&h all have gotten a hefty share of my money.. and I will admit that ebay has too....Im a bargain hunter with my gear.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-16-2023 at 08:20 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have a Nikon D80. I'm just not much good with it.
    Liz the d80 is an interesting camera. If you ever want to play around with a d200 or d300. let me know and I will send you one.. When I started with nikon I wanted to learn like I learned pentax.. plus it was alot cheaper to buy older models. I REALLY LIKE THE D200 AND D300... For old cameras they are still awesome and useful. These will work with your d80 lens.
    2023-02-16_07-16-08.jpg

D200 images
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/130140749@N05/D812J92L3k

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

That's very generous of you, Al. But at my age just doing what I have to get done is enough. I'd need hands on instruction to take advantage of the camera. But if you or Pat wanted to visit, I'd beer you and feed you for your instruction. I used to play around with my D80 but now I just set it on automatic, click and hope for the best.

Excellent detail on that pic, BTW.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 02-16-2023 at 08:44 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

I love my Pentax... some of my camera bodies are older than I am (screw mount lenses and all).

Spanish Alley shot with Pentax ME Super and 50mm 1:2 lens (manual focus) 35mm film camera.
    p1202789318-4.jpg

Mt Jefferson shot with Pentax K-5 and Sigma 50-500mm lens (crop sensor body)
    p804135544-4.jpg

Mt Adams shot with Pentax K-1 and Sigma 50-500mm lens (full frame body)
    p1042676575-4.jpg

Sunset shot with Pentax 645z and 55mm 1:2.8 lens (medium format digital body)
    p279783866-4.jpg
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

That second one blows me away!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

Ever since the wife and I have started travelling quite a bit, we decided to get something better than our smartphones to take images with. A photographer friend suggested the Nikon Z50, so we went with it. We're still fairly newbies when it comes to how to use it, but we've both enjoyed using it.

Taking recommendations for lenses! Currently have a NIKKOR 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR & NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm F/4.5-6.3 VR.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That second one blows me away!
    I was standing in the parking lot of "Timberline Lodge" where "the Shining" was filmed... this is on Mt Hood.
    Mt. Jefferson is about 100 miles south of Mt. Hood in the Cascade Range, one of many volcanoes that are "extinct" even though there is slight tremors around the areas.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Ever since the wife and I have started travelling quite a bit, we decided to get something better than our smartphones to take images with. A photographer friend suggested the Nikon Z50, so we went with it. We're still fairly newbies when it comes to how to use it, but we've both enjoyed using it.

Taking recommendations for lenses! Currently have a NIKKOR 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR & NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm F/4.5-6.3 VR.
    Look for a Sigma 50-500mm used as it is a good lens for a bunch of photography, also look for a good 90mm macro lens, and a 24mm wide angle lens. These three should suit you for a while until you get to know the camera. Also one lens with the camera until you learn that lens/camera combination. Sometimes the best zoom is your feet (walking further from or closer to your subject).

Real Name
    Tom

Had a Pentax back in the 80s. Now have a Nikon D7500 and a D70. I bought the D7500 during covid. It’s fun but anything I knew with the pentax has long been forgotten. So just playing with it now. But I’ve got a new lens to play with .748659E6-CE22-43A6-AC0B-6B545B30E7D2.jpg9E6BBB0E-13E3-41C9-A216-8FCE8C01DA3B.jpgE79E4CC8-257B-4BB8-ABF4-E7ECCF985B86.jpg485093D9-5252-4B09-90AE-54BEB0027F5C.jpg. Still need to figure a lot out.

Real Name
    Jacob

I own a Nikon D40x, I have no clue how to do anything cool with it other than put it in auto mode basically. It used to take better pictures than a phone (actually, I think I owned this before a smart phone because I got it when my wife and I got married in 2009). I had a film SLR prior to that. I enjoyed that, but still... I know nothing about what I'm doing with it.

019_7.jpg

014_12A.jpg

009_17 (2).jpg

I never took any good pictures with it, but that didn't stop me from trying. It always had a dark line across the pictures too.