ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Algae

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Hair Algae

Liz, I don't know how, but I managed to read "plants" instead of sponge. I wouldn't bother with the seltzer water for a sponge, it's more of a live plant thing! I've used H2O2 to kill the stuff otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If these Rams don't start selling, I'll have to put them in the garden with your fish, Al. It's strange. They use to sell like hotcakes but I've had auctions up on AB for almost a week and nothing. Well, I knew that they wouldn't be hot sellers forever.
    I've been pointing a few people your way for the pitch black rams, seems like there's a rumble about them now at least. If these apistos of mine don't pan out I might get some rams from you. Non-composted ones, I mean.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 02-20-2023 at 09:11 AM.

I appreciate you helping me, Jacob. Unfortunately the folks you pointed my way didn't buy. The lady who wanted some Dutch Blues and some Pitch Blacks was hot to go until she heard that shipping would be $65. As everyone knows, we have no control over shipping costs. Any time you want some, just say the word. We are Apisto buddies.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 02-20-2023 at 10:40 AM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I appreciate you helping me, Jacob. Unfortunately the folks you pointed my way didn't buy. The lady who wanted some Dutch Blues and some Pitch Blacks was hot to go until she heard that shipping would be $65. As everyone knows, we have no control over shipping costs. Any time you want some, just say the word. We are Apisto buddies.
    It is bizarre to me that shipping turns off people so much with fish, additionally... she already knew she was going to have them shipped... so how much less did she expect the shipping to be?!?
    In my opinion shipping is about the only way you can be relatively sure that you're getting what you want. Not to mention the fact that it costs just $65 dollars to basically put these fish anywhere in the US in usually less than 24 hours. I've always seen that as a bargain. It costs me like $10 in gas just to drive to the nearest LFS! By the time you add in lunch for the family and a couple of stops for my wife... $65 would be a cost savings! I tried LFS and a local fish swap looking for any apisto, I would have bought at least a pair of anything that would have been available. And there were zero at either place. So I ended up having some shipped anyway. *shrug*

Maybe part of my sympathetic nature is having shipped (and been shipped) queen honey bees. Depending on where you live you can pretty easily get hamstrung as well. I had six "special" queens sent to me a few years back, paid pretty dearly for them... almost embarrassed to say. They were, I think, $65 each plus about the same again to overnight them. AND the closest place they could overnight to with UPS was a 1.5 hour (one way) drive for me. They were OK queens, but I produce my own for free and I like them better, so...
    I'll keep banging the drum for you when someone asks about pitch black rams, though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12