ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Algae

Default Hair Algae

Can I soak my sponges in vinegar to kill the black hair algae on them?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Hair Algae

if it is black beard algae get some Seachem Flourish Excel and soak your sponges in that. Then rinse.

If that doesn't work soak them in straight household bleach, rinse, and then soak in a bath of water with 500mg vitamin c to 10 gallons water (will neutralize the bleach) in a bucket with an air stone or power head to circulate the water.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

I actually have lots of Seachem Flourish Excel. Thanks for the idea.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

you're welcome.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Jacob

Another option is seltzer water. 12 hour soak. And might be cheaper than Excel.

I knew about the Excel Flourish, I'd just forgotten. I had no clue about the seltzer water. I have tanks that I'm cleaning as they get empty of fish. I'll try this on the next one.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

12 hours submerged in the dark, towel over whatever container they're in (not sealed). Then into the tank or if not into the tank immediately, highly oxygenated water for 30 minutes (just something with an air stone).

Cool. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

H2O2 works well. That is what I use.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes hydrogen peroxide does work great and is so much cheaper than excel. Just soak sponges in h2o2 for about 5min let sit for 5 min and rinse in tap water. Bba will turn pinkish red in a day or 2.

Mervin, I like your fix best. On my way to the feed store today I stopped at the Dollar Store and picked up 5 quarts of H2O2. The lady at the check out looked at me a little strangely. What could anyone want 5 quarts of it? Oh well. I'm used to people thinking I'm weird.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

5 quarts... we gonna have a party to "die" for

Real Name
    Mervin

Liz, if you haven't used it before. Like Tom mentioned, it will take a few days to disintegrate,so be patient. It'll turn brown/red then go away. I would just soak one at at a time for a few minutes to save on H2O2, then rinse.

Hair algae isnt something I have dealt with.. I know the goal normally is to irradicate it on live plants and driftwood normally but Liz has it on her sponges.. Vinegar and peroxide will kill the biofilter on those sponges.. so if the goal to kill the algae and not worry about the sponges biofilter you should be able to microwave the sponges.. place a wet sponge in a gal zip lock bag... fill the bag a quarter with water and seal most of the bag.. leave alittle open to vent steam. Microwave on high until the water boils..Carefully take it out and let cool. Not only will it kill any algae it makes it super easy to clean off. I use it here to clean my sponges when a stubborn black algae colonizes the top of aquaclear sponges.. the stuff is impossible to scrub off otherwise.
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-19-2023 at 12:28 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Another good idea. I did one tank's sponges and glass with Flourish Excel and the other tank's with peroxide. I have 2 90' that have the problem, too but they still have fish in them. If these Rams don't start selling, I'll have to put them in the garden with your fish, Al. It's strange. They use to sell like hotcakes but I've had auctions up on AB for almost a week and nothing. Well, I knew that they wouldn't be hot sellers forever.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast