ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White Spots on Discus

Real Name
    Greg

Default White Spots on Discus

Just checking to get an opinion of these spots before I do an any treatment.
    I read here it may be bacterial.
    The first picture is yesterday and the second pic is today.
    I can post tank parameters if necessary, but thought I would start out keeping it simple.
    I keep the tank at 85 degrees and we have 5 discus.

In November, these same spots began appearing on 3 fish, kind of rotating between them, one or 2 spots at a time for 2-3 days each, then poof, they would be gone. They would be on the body or fins.
    I couldn't take any chances so treated at 88-90 degrees for 12 days with salt.

At the same time there was the one fish shown here with this larger white spot on him - looks quite different than the other smaller spots. It was gone in a couple days as well.

Haven't had any issues until this new spot appeared.
    Thoughts?
    IMG_5648.jpgIMG_5655.jpgIMG_5064.jpg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Default Re: White Spots on Discus

They're a symptom of poor water quality. Change more water and you shouldn't see them any more.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

What is your water change schedule? I agree, these are common and usually go away after a series of 50%+ water changes...

I would usually add a couple tablespoons of salt during that time but yours have already been salted for almost 2 weeks so I wouldn't keep it up much longer.

Real Name
    Tom

Those spots are discus nodes/pimples. It’s a sign that the water is bothering the discus and needs to be changed. Usually gone in a week after daily water changes. Clean new water is the whole key to these fish.

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks all. I was gone for the weekend...

Well that's a little embarrassing but I'll own up to it. I've been changing 25 to 40% at about 3 weeks and have since learned that's not often enough. It's a relief to hear this spot issue is not something more serious.
    I have no problem greatly increasing that frequency.
    Thanks again!
    Greg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Your fish will thank you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

I've never seen them on the skin of mine, but every once in a while they'll have one on the tail fin. Not sure if it's the same thing or not, but usually I take that as a sign that I've neglected wiping down the sides and bottom too long. Doesn't seem to take too long before they go away.