AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: making a portable RO filter?

Real Name
    Dave

Default making a portable RO filter?

I am thinking of buying a tankless RO filter (500 gallon per day) for filling my aquariums after water change.

I am hoping to be able to convert this to being able to hook to an outside faucet, and then using the output from the good water to either fill the tank directly or fill five gallon buckets to fill the tank with.

the waste water I would run into a five gallon bucket so I could use on the garden and flowers.

How feasible is this?

I am trying to lower TDS and the nitrate. Nitrate from my filtered water is 4.3 due to the aerobic bacteria in the filter otherwise it would be 7.5 coming from the kitchen faucet. Drinking water is filtered with a solid carbon block filter.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Default Re: making a portable RO filter?

I am hoping to be able to convert this to being able to hook to an outside faucet, and then using the output from the good water to either fill the tank directly or fill five gallon buckets to fill the tank with.
    Dave, It would be better to have the Ro water stored in a barrel and aged/aerated and heated to tank temp.. R/O water is going to be as cold as the tap water which can be really cold. To run that into the fish tank may chill the fish too much or could cause your heaters to run non-stop. I tried here with my breeders and the water just got too cold..Im on a well and the ground water is COLD!

AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Also, the RO is under pressure, which traps co2 and will cause ph swings.

I would also store the water...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

If this is still something you're trying to figure out, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and have a 46 gallon breeder and a 55 gallon community tank. I do not have a holding tank. My RO System is call the "RO Buddy" by AquticLife and they have a wonderful tankless model. Brian is completely right in that the CO2 aids in a PH Crash this combined with the lack of sediments and nutrients in the RO water causes the PH to have nothing to buffer on (TDS Reading) thus ensuing a "crash". This crash becomes DRASTIC after dropping below 6.5. IN THEORY you're going to end up needing to reinstate some trace elements into the water to increase your TDS to give the PH something to stabilize or buffer on. I say in theory because I myself have learned after coming to this wonderful website that my potential pair is still too immature to complete the process. So, for now they reside in the community tank. If you're ever interested on my journey through this very engaging process, here is a link to the Thread I have started over on "Our Tank Journals" . I have not gotten a message on this forum yet but If you have any questions I'd love to figure this out with you. Best of luck and I hope you haven't lost hope!
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Those who don't know must learn from those that do. " - Plato

You need to move to a larger place to fulfill your dream. Breeding Discus takes a lot of tanks and a lot of WCs. 5 gallon buckets make things too hard to continue long term. A water storage container will allow you to use a sump pump which makes the job easy and gives you more time to watch the fish which is important. BTW, I use my RO waste grow out fry to adulthood. RO is not necessary for anything other that breeders.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

Using the RO waste line is a genius idea that I've heard of mentioned before, glad to hear its use is actually practical as apposed to tossing the run-off, I've been using it to water my plants.
    Liz let me ask you this: I've heard from old shows and documentaries you can store liquids outside in 55 gallon plastic barrels and have them be a maintainable temperature, does this seem feasible? If so I could adjust the water parameters in the barrel and let it set and have a sump pump do the work. This idea is overall more appealing to me at the moment as I am waiting for the right time to get a house to increase my space.

Currently I pay taxes on 5 acres but someone at my age and lack of connections in the residential construction industry is fighting a very long uphill battle. I've been with my fiancé for several years now and she has a previous kid from a past relationship so waiting 3+ years to build a house may be too far out of my realm of reality. She's growing and needs space and so is my hobby , but I digress.

When my immature breeding pair was laying I was doing sometimes 2 water changes a day but I enjoy the labor and being able to come close to seeing fry. I can only wait and educate myself for now.
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Those who don't know must learn from those that do. " - Plato

Using RO waste works or some folks but not for others. You have to find out if it works for you. Some people only need tap for breeding. Cary who is also in MI uses only aged tap for everything. It all depends on your water and how the fish react to it.

Storing RO outside may work well in the summer, but you will spend a bundle on electricity to keep that water warm in the winter.

You have a big dream, and you are very new to Discus. Breeding Discus when you're starting from scratch takes a lot of trial and error. Water differs everywhere and only you can discover what works for you.

A good relationship with a mom and pop store is invaluable, but you only if you are very lucky to their customers have an education in Discus keeping and what is and is not acceptable Discus conformation. The big importers get varying qualities of fish. The good enough go to the LPS where if you're lucky they pay cash but only give you what they would get from their wholesaler for the same size fish, which generally is about 1/3 of their asking price for the fish. It's hard to compete with the wholesaler's fish because they come from importers already colored up since they've been hormoned.

You can get a decent price directly to hobbyists who already know quality when they see it. But for that you need to know a good fish from a mediocre fish and have developed a reputation for selling quality. It's a long hard slog to get to that point, and when you do, you will be lucky to be able to pay for your hobby...forget about making big bucks. Breeding Discus in the States is basically a labor of love.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Using RO waste works or some folks but not for others. You have to find out if it works for you. Some people only need tap for breeding. Cary who is also in MI uses only aged tap for everything. It all depends on your water and how the fish react to it.

Storing RO outside may work well in the summer, but you will spend a bundle on electricity to keep that water warm in the winter.

You have a big dream, and you are very new to Discus. Breeding Discus when you're starting from scratch takes a lot of trial and error. Water differs everywhere and only you can discover what works for you.
    is it ambitious of me to set up some sort of solar panel set-up to supplement some heat to the barrel ? I get sort of crazy with my ideas but I figure if I'm thinking it: someone has thought it.

I am as green as the grass on your lawn to breeding fish; let alone keeping these discus. I will say I haven't ever been quite this captivated by something. The routine they require (minimal but still) is very centering for me.

Add on the way you can really make something yours when you're the one doing the plumbing, stands and set-up and I'm in hog heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    A good relationship with a mom and pop store is invaluable, but you only if you are very lucky to their customers have an education in Discus keeping and what is and is not acceptable Discus conformation. The big importers get varying qualities of fish. The good enough go to the LPS where if you're lucky they pay cash but only give you what they would get from their wholesaler for the same size fish, which generally is about 1/3 of their asking price for the fish. It's hard to compete with the wholesaler's fish because they come from importers already colored up since they've been hormoned.
    Honestly I wasn't even planning on selling this first batch, simply giving a portion of them away to the store after I saw what tank they would be in. In return I'd merely ask for a discount on store items. I'm not in this to compete with any big hormoned fish or even enter a show; I truly would be glad to see other hobbyists be inspired by them they way I was. Price is always an issue I'm not really likely to confront on; I'll do my research on what average cost is (1/3 of $75 for a 2" - 2.5" fish is around $25/ fish) and probably go lower than that considering I am completely new to this and culling is a skill I will need to develop over time. Any advice on the subject would be highly encouraged. Plus these small businesses are struggling and I want to help them in any way I can. If petco wants a deal though I will show no mercy in pricing

I wish one day to be able to spend a day with one of you experienced individuals in a room full of discus to just hear one of you speak on the subject. Until then I will deal with what I gather from my own aquarium and online. On that note: Are there any big discus hobbiest around michigan that have a public store front? So many names online claiming to be the best at their half of the nation; Chicago discus is the nearest I can guess.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Dave, if it is warm enough outside store the RO water in a brute waste can outside. When it is full or near full pump it to an inside brute trashcan where you can aerate and heat it. Then pump it to your tank for WCs.

It is way to easy to overflow a container with RO water and trust me. You do not want to do it inside.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening