AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 55 Gallon - First Discus Setup

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: 55 Gallon - First Discus Setup

4” is a great start! Gets you into discus and the whole routine of keeping them. Then if you’re enjoying it and get another tank you can try 2” discus. I’ve done the 2” discus and yes it’s fun to grow them out. But the thing with 2” discus is you really don’t know what you’re getting. Close to you are Dennis discus and Chicago Discus. I’ve bought from Dennis and I’m very happy with his fish. Haven’t bought from Chicago but have never heard anything bad about their Discus. Both come highly recommended and are close to you. I don’t recommend buying from local.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jacob

I made it to the big city for some appointments on Friday.

Picked up some Fluval Aquaclear 70s, a Brute trash can for a water reservoir, and a pothos plant to grow out the top.

My Eheim 400 air pump came in the mail as well so got that running.

I also cut the wood piece to length, and then it still wasn't quite small enough so I ripped it down in height as well. I did end up zip tying a couple rocks to the back as well to sink it. It was a very big help in determining how it will really fit.

Still unsure if the driftwood will stay, but I am more on the positive side now. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the changes.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

I added ammonia yesterday and got it cycling as well.

Now just need to get a heater and a water pump for the reservoir and a light for the tank.

Making good progress there Jacob! Lots of tanins in that that tank.Nice blackwater look.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Yes lots of tannins! Think that piece of wood will be leaching them for awhile. Just hope cedar leaching in alright for fish. Does it have the distinct cedar smell?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jacob

It does have a light cedar smell. It's not overbearing or anything. I'm sure with regular water changes and less build up it would be far less.

This is Eastern White Cedar. It's a lot less potent than Western Red Cedar, which is more commonly used in construction, and exponentially less potent than "Aromatic Cedar".

"Aromatic Cedar", commonly used for cedar chests, closets, etc. as a natural protection / repellent for insects is actually a species of juniper. I think this is what most people think of when they hear the word "cedar" and instantly think "toxic".

(I have a background in woodworking and cedar holds a special place in my heart.)

I've read tons online about whether cedar is safe or not for use in the aquarium, and the only thing I have learned is that the general public probably misidentifies what is and isn't cedar the majority of the time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jbacker7 View Post
    It does have a light cedar smell. It's not overbearing or anything. I'm sure with regular water changes and less build up it would be far less.

This is Eastern White Cedar. It's a lot less potent than Western Red Cedar, which is more commonly used in construction, and exponentially less potent than "Aromatic Cedar".

"Aromatic Cedar", commonly used for cedar chests, closets, etc. as a natural protection / repellent for insects is actually a species of juniper. I think this is what most people think of when they hear the word "cedar" and instantly think "toxic".

(I have a background in woodworking and cedar holds a special place in my heart.)

I've read tons online about whether cedar is safe or not for use in the aquarium, and the only thing I have learned is that the general public probably misidentifies what is and isn't cedar the majority of the time haha.

It does get confusing with common names.. for instance "Northern or Eastern Red Cedar" is actually Juniperus virginia scientifically.. This one is common around here in CT. We also have " Northern or Eastern White cedar". Which is Thuja occidentalis, a member of the cypress family..

And that is probably way too much info.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-27-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I like it….color and all

But I’m going to be honest and give you my take.

That wood is just too big for a 55 gallon with discus….if it was say a 75 or 90 I’d say it’s Maybe manageable for a few months and if the discus are very small.

But off the bat in a 55 with a piece of wood that size you are going to run into problems. Discus get spooked very easily. Even after they become comfortable. With a large piece like that I’d actually say it’s more suited for a larger wider tank. Just my honest opinion. I’m thinking of taking my wood out of the middle of my tank and it’s only because I see them buzzing past it and mine is in the middle. I may get a piece like half the size and just place it more towards the left or the right and leave the middle completely open….just my 2 cents : )

Real Name
    Mervin

The aromatic terpene in cedar is Delta 3 Carene. Also can be a component in turpentine. From what I've read it can be very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects. Soft wood is not a good driftwood for a fish tank. It rots quicker than hard wood and the terpenes that are in softwood are released in the water. Also, traces of Delta 3 Carene is good for human health. That's just my take.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jacob

Sean / Mervin, thank you guys very much for you comments. I decided to join Simply Discus for experienced keepers' advice, and I value your input just as much as other people who don't mind the driftwood.

The more I look at it, the more restrictive I can see it being to swimming space.

I'll keep chewing on it, but more and more I am being pulled toward a potted plant idea.

I might try to come up with a long, skinny clear rectangular glass vase, fill it with gravel, and use an Amazon sword with some crypts or something in it, kind of like a table centerpiece.

More to come in that area.

Thanks again for your experienced input. I appreciate it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jacob

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give an update on this tank.

Back in early March there was a 75 gallon setup that came up locally on Craigslist. I went to check it out to figure out it was a full saltwater setup and I picked it up for $250. While I was getting everything cleaned up and taking stock I realized that if I were to purchase the setup new it would retail for about $3,000. With as well set up as the 75 gallon is to be used for saltwater I decided that it must be destiny for me to finally give it a shot. There are still some things that I need to save up for / modify / add to that setup to get it how I want so it is going to become my project of focus. It also will utilize the water change reservoir (Brute trash can) that I had planned on using for the discus setup.

With all that in mind, I came back to the idea of using the 55 for a simple, fun community setup. I've really wanted to do cardinal tetras in a 55, and ordered 40 of them from Discus.com (shipped from Wattley Discus). They arrived last Friday, and are nice. Wattley's sent 49 in total. Two died in shipping. Five died overnight on Saturday which was a bit unexpected, but 3 of those did look pretty rough before I went to bed. Tank is fully cycled, all parameters are in check, fish did take some NLS Grow pellet food on Saturday. The remaining 42 are doing good. I wish I would've had my brine shrimp ready for them on Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning, but they are loving those brine shrimp now, and look great.

IMG_0713.jpg

I think that I will pick up a handful of German Blue Rams for the bottom the next time I make it down to the big city.

I think I'd also like some angels for the top in time. It might be smart from a bio-load perspective to stick with one, but I love pairs of cichlids. Maybe I'll get 4 juveniles and let them pair off, but the tank will already be quite stocked up.

I'm so thankful I found you guys even though my discus journey may not fully begin until sometime down the road. I've definitely learned a lot here in general, and am a better fishkeeper because of the knowledge I've gained alone. I think the bare bottom, potted plant tank is still going to be a fun, clean experiment.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jacob

Correction. The fish from Discus.com were not shipped from Wattley Discus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12