AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried to buy pork heart

Default Tried to buy pork heart

Someone a while back posted the nutritional break down of pig heart vs beef heart for me. Turns out that they are similar enough that I could use them.

I drove 2 miles down my country road to Boe Hog Farm where UPS pick up boxes with pre printed invoices every day because they ship the valves to the hospital to use for valve replacements in human hearts. Folks in small southern communities do favors to their neighbors.

I asked about buying the rest of the hearts to use for fish food. Would you believe that they were short of hearts now? I thought that they were just a small company, but they are bigger than I imagined. It turns out that they ship all over the south. They deliver the hearts to Atlanta. There are large Chinese and Vietnamese communities there where people buy the hearts for human recipes. Since they are hearts, they're good for the heart. I was really surprised.

They said that if they had extra they'd give them to me, which was too kind. I want to pay. But if they do have extras I'd buy most for fish food and look around for recipes to make for myself. I am in no way a sissy when it comes to new foods.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Tried to buy pork heart

Liz .. veal and cow hearts are also a very well known Italian food called soffritto..
    https://memoriediangelina.com/2021/1...to-napoletano/

Its also grilled alot .. I have grilled it like steak.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I don't have access to either in my neck of the woods/
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz .. veal and cow hearts are also a very well known Italian food called soffritto..
    https://memoriediangelina.com/2021/1...to-napoletano/

Its also grilled alot .. I have grilled it like steak.

Al
    So what does it taste like? Is it tough or tender? I suspect it is on the tough side as it is very lean and the most used muscle.

I grilled it like I do london broil... marinated in an Italian syle dressing. Seared over hot coals and sliced thin medium rare.. it reminded alot like Venison when I grill that. I think it either needs to be cooked medium or it will be real tough. I would like to try it braised and slow cooked some time... i suspect it will be like leg of lamb thats slow cooked hours...yum yum!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I have a neighbor who's a deer hunter. He has most of his venison turned into sausage which to tell the truth the processer doesn't make a good tasting sausage of. It's all picante hot with no meat flavor. He makes his own ground venison. Can I make anything tasty from it other than chili? He's a good neighbor and will give it to me free.

He only shot one this past season, and I didn't think to ask him for the heart. When next year's hunting season rolls around, I'll ask him for the hearts.
    Mama Bear

Liz,
    The guy that processes deer up here mixes his venison with pork for his sauages and they are pretty tasty.

As for the ground venison... Bolognese Sauce...on pasta or spaghetti is a great way to use it... it makes a good meat layer in lasagna.

Another great use is to brown the meat with some diced onions and season it with some salt, pepper and garlic powder.. mix that with with white rice and some tomato sauce.. stuff it into green or red bell peppers and bake...or use boiled cabbage or collard green leaves..roll up the meat and rice and cook in some more sauce.. Mmmm.. now I am getting hungry!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Seems we went off track here abit.. lol..so I moved this to the Homefront recipe section.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

We hunt bow hunt deer. And we don't use the heart. Between my dad, my brother, and me we usually kill 5+ deer and in years past 10-12 wasn't uncommon, it's basically the only red meat we eat other than steaks occasionally. I've tried to eat the heart and I just do not like it. Plus it's a ton of work to deal with. It's unfortunate when people do a poor job caring for or processing their game. I genuinely believe that if you came up here and I cooked you a deer burger you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell the difference. We use it for absolutely everything. But we also do it all our selves. Sausage and everything. We occasionally have a good locker make a batch of sticks or summer sausage for us, but we ask how much we have to bring to get the entire batch. Otherwise, they process it along with everyone else's deer.

I think I posted the nutritional breakdown for you. I've used pig heart for making raw dog food. I don't make my own anymore, but when I bought beef hearts for the discus about a year ago they were having issues getting those as well. It's a very strange time right now. Or we're coming out of one is maybe a better way to think of it. I didn't think they were very expensive, but I know the guy who owns the locker and when I asked if he had any he said yes, but they're very expensive right now. I thought they were reasonably priced.

Good luck getting some hearts, Liz!

We hunt bow hunt deer
    recurve or compound?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

recurve or compound?
    Compound. I also use metal hammers when pounding nails.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Compound. I also use metal hammers when pounding nails.
    Lol.. I use a wood handle hammer ... so you can probably guess.. I shoot recurve. Though I do have some older compound bows I collect and but I shoot recurve mostly
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-23-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

OK, I give What does the material the handle of the hammer have to do with the type of bow preference? Is it the way the material feels to the hand?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I could be missing Jacobs point here but It goes along the lines of he uses the best tool for the job. A metal hammer drives more force to the nail due to its weight. A compound bow does the same to an arrow.

Recurve bows dont pack the same punch as modern compound bows and compound bows can be shot farther and with more accuracy at distance. Sights are also used.. Recurves are often shot with no sights using "instinctive " shooting.
    Both bows get the job done if used as they are meant as will a hammer with a wood handle vs metal handle.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-23-2023 at 08:32 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I could be missing Jacobs point here but It goes along the lines of he uses the best tool for the job. A metal hammer drives more force to the nail due to its weight. A compound bow does the same to an arrow.

Recurve bows dont pack the same punch as modern compound bows and compound bows can be shot farther and with more accuracy at distance. Sights are also used.. Recurves are often shot with no sights using "instinctive " shooting.
    Both bows get the job done if used as they are meant as will a hammer with a wood handle vs metal handle.
    Thanks Al
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast