AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus size

Registered Member

Default Discus size

Hello I am just getting back into Discus after almost 15 years and when I had them back then I purchased 2” Discus. I had great success but after having to get out of the hobby for a while I see the new recommendation is to buy larger. My question is the difference between 4” and 6” Discus. Is there a better size to buy and acclimate or are either acceptable. I want to give them the easiest transition and would purchase either 6 six inch Discus or 8 four inch Discus for my 125 gallon tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What has worked in the past is not always the best way in the future.

Default Re: Discus size

HI,
    Let me start by asking you how you did with the 2" Discus? Normally we recommend the largest fish you can afford if you are new to discus as its just easier and they are more forgiving at bigger sizes. But if you are experienced and already know how to keep them thats a different matter all together..

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-22-2023 at 07:20 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Exactly. You need to have some miles under your belt before you should attempt little guys. They require a lot of TLC. I'd like to know how you did with them, too.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I’d recommend 4-6” discus. Anything within that size you can see exactly what you’ve got. They are usually healthier. Not many sell 2” discus anymore and buying locally is really chancing it. That’s for any size!

Registered Member

When I had Discus I raised them from 2” to about 6.5” where they maxed out. I kept them for a number of years though I can’t tell you exactly how long. They were kept in a 150 gal high tech planted tank with a co2 reactor and AI Hydra pendant lights. I did 50% water changes every other day. I utilized 2 300 watt ebo jaeger heaters and a 40 gallon sump with bio ball type media. Hope this helps with your advice. Thank you for your time

Registered Member

Oh I forgot to mention I fed them Wattleys frozen beef heart and live black worms (which seem to be very hard to get now)

It sounds like you had a good bit of experience. I would suggest the 4" discus. 8 in a 125 is a good plan. You can certainly go bigger but the problem with adults is three fold for me .They cost more in shipping, the cost more per fish and you pay more for a fish that you really dont have much control over as to how they turn out. Honestly my preference is usually to buy a group of discus 2-3 inches and then its all on me for better or worse.. but 3-4 " fish a good option if you are comfortable with your experience level.

Hth,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-22-2023 at 10:32 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. I believe I will go the 4” route as Al suggested and watch the growth. Thank you again for your time.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrown4183 View Post
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I believe I will go the 4” route as Al suggested and watch the growth. Thank you again for your time.
    Hi Dbrown, sounds like an excellent choice and you got great advice and saves you a bit of money. Looking forward to seeing photos of them after you get them.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I’ll bet that if you add up the cost of raising a 2-3 inch fish it’s probably not much less expensive than buying a 5 or 6 inch fish

Oh I am sure thats true Andy.. agree 100% there.. But when you buy the big fish you pay up front .. buy the small fish and it can be spread out over time. Sometimes it just comes down to economics. Discus are expensiven no matter how you look at it.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com