AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

Default Whats your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

Its been a very long time since I messed with the dark side(planted tanks). But I get the urge now and again... my last tanks I used laterite which is probably telling some of you how long. Its been.. I know theres always improved products and new products out there so thought I would check in with the green thumb crowd here and ask what you use now. The laterite I used wss actually a lanscaping product sold here, the name escapes me but it worked pretty well for my plants at the time. .

I may dabble again so just asking .. thanks
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Whats your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

Got to say my substrate is and has always been gravel. Pic of my tank a few years back.2C8FC161-1284-4CAC-B800-7016B03A6E73.jpg. And now using pots instead of any substrate.D6739C08-DF29-4106-BFF1-F95D32009878.jpg but gravel in the pots .

Real Name
    Jacob

In a non-discus tank... aqua soil with about 3" of sand on top.

Tom I like the look of both tanks.. the bare bottom does have its cleaning advantages though. On the gravel dud you use ferts like root tabs?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Jacob,
    This aqua soil?

Screenshot_20230226-080811_Chrome.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I use ferts. I’ve used the seachem products. The comprehensive with potassium and iron. So 3 different bottles. Used to buy by the gallon. They were used in the first tank. Also some root tabs. Tabs under swords and crypts. I’ve used the api tabs cause I can break them up to add under different plants. One full root tab is a lot. Have also used osmacoat. In the 180 with pots I’ve been using NilocG. I use the osmacoat in the pots. Instead of the whole tab I open it and add to 2 pots at a time. For me another must have is mylasian trumpet snails. Plant just grow better with these snails.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jacob,
    This aqua soil?
    They're probably all about the same. I've used Fluval Stratum. The next tank I do is going to have 1-2 of dirt/potting soil and probably 3-4" of sand cap. Again... not for discus.
    So, basically a dirted tank with a deep sand bed.

Real Name
    Tom

Thing with a dirted tank is the nutrients don’t last long and you’re left with mud. Just way to messy for me.

I was looking for pics of my old planted tanks and came across this one.. taken in 2008!

DSCN5833.jpg

15 years ago.. That kiddo is graduating college this year.

That tank was a low tech tank if I remember correctly, I did not use commercial ferts, but I did put iron pills and tums under the plants every once in a while.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Bud Smith

I have been using aquatic pond soil with fluval stratum over it with good growth for my swords and crypts.
    Bud

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Thing with a dirted tank is the nutrients don’t last long and you’re left with mud. Just way to messy for me.
    Clearly I have not done it... but the theory is you can hop it up enough to get it into the stage where it rejuvenates the dirt from the waste. I have a 3-4" gravel bed that I have never vacuumed in a community tank, I'm still putting root tabs in and the plants aren't doing great in... but I'm starting to think it has a lot more to do with my rock hard water with the mix of plants I have. Some do really well and some just kind of stay the same size forever regardless of what I do for them. I've got a 29 earmarked for the dirted tank project. I suppose I could do the 125, but that seems like a bit too big of an experiment.

In any event, the a whole lot of stuff going into the dirt... not just dirt. I'll be interested to see how it goes. If it just ends up mud, I guess that's the breaks. That's what the whole yard is currently and will be for the next two months anyway, might as well bring a little of that inside to enjoy!

Real Name
    Tom

Well I’d definitely start with the 29. Could only imagine the mess in a 125. I tried eco-completely useless with some red stratum under it in a 90g acrylic tank. I really wish I would have thought that over better. Eco is lave rock. Not the best mix for acrylic. This mix proved to not grow anything and was a great place to kill plants. Corys also didn’t care for it. After 3 yrs pulled all 100lbs out and used it to fill a ground hog hole at the in laws house . I’m now playing around with aquasoil in pots. Instead of root tabs. Things are growing so far.

Registered Member

I have had good luck with sand blasting media as substrate. You can get 50 pounds of media for about 15 bucks. Try Black Diamond brand, Tractor Supply Store carries it. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...BoCguYQAvD_BwE
    Personally, I think most substrates are overrated. They can be very expensive and it's unclear to me if they really help much.

Registered Member

Personally I've always used the seachem flourite in clay pots. Some plants I'll stick a little peat in a nylon stocking on the bottom of the pot and put some fert tabs on top of the stocking when planting the plant, swords I mostly do this with.

Quote Originally Posted by jorge7439 View Post
    I have had good luck with sand blasting media as substrate. You can get 50 pounds of media for about 15 bucks. Try Black Diamond brand, Tractor Supply Store carries it. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...BoCguYQAvD_BwE
    Personally, I think most substrates are overrated. They can be very expensive and it's unclear to me if they really help much.
    Thanks for that tip. It sounds like a really interesting substrate... cheap.. inert.. no silica to feed diatoms... looks like its been used quite a bit for planted tanks and is generally thought of as safe. I did see a few references to possible issues with rust but it seems like its mostly subjective issues and things like" I used this substrate and lost a shrimp" or "lost cories". I don't put much faith into that kind of rationale. I will definitely consider this one as an option... hard to argue with tractor supplies prices on it.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast