AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

Default Re: Whats your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    ..... I have a 3-4" gravel bed that I have never vacuumed in a community tank, I'm still putting root tabs in and the plants aren't doing great in... but I'm starting to think it has a lot more to do with my rock hard water with the mix of plants I have....
    I know a fair amount about plant biology but fairly little about growing aquarium plants ...full disclosure there. I have read though that excess calcium can inhibit absorption of mg and Iron. It might be worth trying an RO water mix in your planted tank.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thanks for that tip. It sounds like a really interesting substrate... cheap.. inert.. no silica to feed diatoms... looks like its been used quite a bit for planted tanks and is generally thought of as safe. I did see a few references to possible issues with rust but it seems like its mostly subjective issues and things like" I used this substrate and lost a shrimp" or "lost cories". I don't put much faith into that kind of rationale. I will definitely consider this one as an option... hard to argue with tractor supplies prices on it.

Al
    While I have not used this product I can uderstand the rust and Cory issue. Many years ago many public works departments used coal cinders or bottom ash instead of salt and sand in the wintertime to apply to the streets for traction for autos and trucks. Many times while helping my dad at the public works garage (he was an employee) there would be huge chunks of the stuff. It would reminded me of the Texas holy rocks with the exception that it was black or brown and could also be multi color due to that fact it after all had been incinerated. I would also see chunks that had been there for some time and they were in fact rusted due to the iron or hematite content in the coal itself.
    The fact that it is very jagged and sharp would again explain why cory's or other fish who would be face first in it could develope problems. I in fact did have problems with a "Java Sand" substrate early in my aquarium keeping. It was in fact a particular black sand that to my understanding was a type of volcanic slag and under a microscope you could easily see it was pointed cylindrical objects and my corys were getting redness around the mouth and face and they were not happy fish. In fact some did die and to this day I do feel it may have helped that happen. After I pulled the sand out and use small flint rock all the redness went away and they seemed to eat better and be happier fish. Coincidence ? Maybe, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    While I have not used this product I can uderstand the rust and Cory issue. Many years ago many public works departments used coal cinders or bottom ash instead of salt and sand in the wintertime to apply to the streets for traction for autos and trucks. Many times while helping my dad at the public works garage (he was an employee) there would be huge chunks of the stuff. It would reminded me of the Texas holy rocks with the exception that it was black or brown and could also be multi color due to that fact it after all had been incinerated. I would also see chunks that had been there for some time and they were in fact rusted due to the iron or hematite content in the coal itself.
    The fact that it is very jagged and sharp would again explain why cory's or other fish who would be face first in it could develope problems. I in fact did have problems with a "Java Sand" substrate early in my aquarium keeping. It was in fact a particular black sand that to my understanding was a type of volcanic slag and under a microscope you could easily see it was pointed cylindrical objects and my corys were getting redness around the mouth and face and they were not happy fish. In fact some did die and to this day I do feel it may have helped that happen. After I pulled the sand out and use small flint rock all the redness went away and they seemed to eat better and be happier fish. Coincidence ? Maybe, maybe not.
    Thanks for that info!!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Al-

This tank is about 6 weeks old: https://youtu.be/nv0656_e4NM

I started this tank with 1” of organic potting soil mix with a 2” pool filter sand cap. I used seachem liquid fertilizer for the first month and changed water every day of the first week. This was mostly because of tannins in the water. The tank is heavily planted and was started up incredibly well. I have yet to clean the glass.

I added the fish about 3 weeks into the tank and stopped fertilizing and things seem to be thriving. I checked nitrates today after it has been a week since water change and the nitrates were about 5. I haven’t had a tank start this well. I attribute that to the soil and the density of plants.

Greg

How did I miss this thread for 4 months????? "The DARK Side.... <evil laugh>..."

For me, sand from the beach... because apparently it's illegal here to steal sand from the beach (... oh the thrill of living on the dark side)

Jokes aside (although it IS against the law where I am and I looked like a jackass out there with a 96 quart cooler dragging it over a football field across the beach and through the path with no damn wheels... and snapped both handles), it seemed like every plant & fish thrived like bonkers for about 3-4 years... at which time I got bored with the best aquascape I've ever had and f'ed with it. But anytime I get sand where the waves hit the beach, it's done wonders. The only part that sucks is dragging all the way back to the truck! Of course, you really don't need 96 quarts worth for 150 gallon tank to have 2.5" of depth (but it was a damn good workout)
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Clay pots and flourite

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    ...I looked like a jackass out there with a 96 quart cooler dragging it over a football field across the beach and through the path with no damn wheels... and snapped both handles...
    Oh, if only you had videos.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

By far my favorite substrate is!!!!! bare bottom.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Oh, if only you had videos.
    Don't worry, Willie... I'm still an idiot an liable to try it 9 more times
    -Elliot

Registered Member

For the first layer I like to use the large ADA Power Sand and I cap it with white quartz sand.

Quote Originally Posted by sidef View Post
    For the first layer I like to use the large ADA Power Sand and I cap it with white quartz sand.
    Im not familar with these as I have mostly used pool filter sand... I never really understood layering it as it seems. It would mix up when cleaning the substrate. When you layer it is the intent not to clean the sand bed? I will layer substrate in clay pots but I dont mess with it once I do and its planted.

How deep.are the layers?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

My favorite is gravel, actually eco complete the black color. Black always makes all the fish or shrimp look better.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Im not familar with these as I have mostly used pool filter sand... I never really understood layering it as it seems. It would mix up when cleaning the substrate. When you layer it is the intent not to clean the sand bed? I will layer substrate in clay pots but I dont mess with it once I do and its planted.

How deep.are the layers?

Al
    I do not clean the sand deeply. I've done some tanks with Fluval Stratum on the bottom and a 1.5-2" pool filter sand cap. In my experience they all just end up messy. Not from mixing, but because I'm typically trying to do two things. Plant and spawn the fish and many times these different goals are not conducive to one another. So if I have plants in a tank that I'm trying to breed in I just expect them to die. I never have enough available nitrogen for them to thrive. Perhaps that's partially due to my water being so hard. But this is also true in the tanks that I run mainly RO water in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12