ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cotton mouth on Discus tank mate

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Cotton mouth on Discus tank mate

Is it possible he's just rubbing his lip on the glass quite a bit when he's with his buds? And when he's isolated he's not swimming as much and so it kind of goes away? Just spitballing here. I don't know that I would euthanize a fish that's otherwise behaving normally (unless I'm missing something there and it does seem impaired)?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Is it possible he's just rubbing his lip on the glass quite a bit when he's with his buds? And when he's isolated he's not swimming as much and so it kind of goes away? Just spitballing here. I don't know that I would euthanize a fish that's otherwise behaving normally (unless I'm missing something there and it does seem impaired)?
    Hi Jacob,
    There are fish pathogens out there that can spread to other fish quickly , others spread more slowly and can lay dormant.. viruses like lymphocystis. The longer the infected fish is in the tank.. the longer it can shed viruses into the tank..Low levels of these can often be fought off by healthy fish but. The immune systems can crash and when it does... what was one sick fish is now a tank.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks Mervin. I'm going to do this.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Yes, he otherwise behaves normally, but no physical contacting with his lower lip is happening with anything. Better safe than sorry so I plan on treating per Mervin and otherwise euthanizing per Al.

Real Name
    Mervin

Fish if kept in too warm or too cold water too long can repress their immune system. Danios like cooler water than discus and for this reason they might not make great tank mates.

Real Name
    Mervin

Is this danio still swimming?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Is this danio still swimming?
    Yes! It was tough to keep him in that bucket for a full 10 days but I did it. I transferred him back last night and he was really white and pale looking but within five minutes got most of his color back and he’s very happy to be back with his buddies.
    Except I don’t think he’s eaten a thing in 11 days. I figure he’ll be eating in a day or two and right now he’s looking good.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Mervin

Does the nose look like what ever it is gone? That ich cure is potent stuff. Not all will survive the treatment. Seachem ParaGuard and Mardel clout are very similar to what they cure and safer.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 04-08-2023 at 01:27 PM.

Real Name
    Greg

Does the nose look like what ever it is gone? That ich cure is potent stuff. Not all will survive the treatment. Seachem ParaGuard and Mardel clout are very similar to what they cure and safer.
    He moves so fast. I wasn't able to see anything on his lip last night or this morning but right now, I do think I see a small white bump there. More time is needed to tell and I'll report back.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Greg

Update Sunday, yes, the spot has returned. Advise to euthanize now?

Real Name
    Mervin

I wouldn't keep it with other fish. I think you may as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234