ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cotton mouth on Discus tank mate

Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: Cotton mouth on Discus tank mate

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    It should not matter if theres salt in the tank or not if you are treating with levamisole.its always a good idea to do a good waterchange before any medications are used though.

Hth,
    Great! Now I've got a solid plan, and the Danio no longer has his white pimple. I would think 3 Giant Danio's are not the best tank mates for Discus but it works out fine here because they stay at the top and there's no competition for food. They don't seem to bother the Discus at all and our graceful Discus aren't bothered by them.
    Thanks for the guidance and clarifications!
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-Florida View Post
    Great! Now I've got a solid plan, and the Danio no longer has his white pimple...
    I stand corrected... I missed it yesterday, it's still there. Seven days on salt ends Monday.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-Florida View Post
    I stand corrected... I missed it yesterday, it's still there. Seven days on salt ends Monday.
    Is it decreased? can you post a few new pics Greg?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Greg

Is it decreased? can you post a few new pics Greg?

al
    Yes, it has decreased maybe about 20%. I just tried to get some new pics and those buggers speed up a lot when I raise my camera.
    I will post some tomorrow morning!
    Greg

Real Name
    Greg

New pics of cotton mouth. It looks the same, it's so hard to get good pictures. I'd correct myself and say maybe a 20% to 30% size reduction. Today is day 5 of 1 TBSP/gal salt.

IMG_6291.jpgIMG_6293.jpgIMG_6294.jpg
    Last edited by Greg-Florida; 03-04-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Greg,
    I would suggest doing the following.. net the fish and using a cotton swab... dab with hydrogen peroxide on the injury and return to tank. Have the hydrogen peroxide and swab laid out in advance to minimize the stress and time out of the water. I honestly have not done this with Danios, but I have to many other smaller species for localized injuries.. Its not with out risks, so use at your own descretion, but can help the fish heal.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Greg

Done. It’s funny when the fish is out of the water I couldn’t see the blemish on his lip but I know it was there. I used 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Real Name
    Greg

Okay, today is day 8 of the high salt and my concern is the appetites are still very suppressed. They eat... a little tiny bit.
    The white spot on the Danio's lip is there at about 70% of original size.
    It's about time to do Levamisole treatment #2. No rush on that I guess because treatment one finished a week ago Sunday, 9 days ago.

I could do the peroxide again. What's the best course?
    Thank you.

You can do the peroxide a few times spaced out a few days apart... You should remove the salt at this point, you can phase it out with water changes.. If that sore doesn't go away after a few treatments its either a stubborn bacterial infection or viral.. if bacterial..antibiotics can be tried..if viral, there is no treatment, unfortunately.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Greg

Good, I can do that.
    I'll phase out the salt and do Levam #2 and continue the peroxide.
    If not clear in awhile, I can qt and treat.
    Thank you!!

Real Name
    Greg

Update: Today is Saturday and the #2 Levamisole treatment for the Discus finished Thursday with a 50% WC and a 40% WC today.
    I treated with salt for this Danio's mouth and twice with hydrogen peroxide with a swab.

The growth on his mouth has enlarged and it has a little piece hanging off of it.
    I got a video posted thinking it's much easier to see what's going on than with the slightly out-of-focus stills above.
    (When I edited the video, stitching 2 together, the output was in 240p, but it's still fairly clear.)

Does this help indicate what this is any better that what we already think?
    Next step is qt and nitrofurazone if we can't clear it another way.

The clearest pics are right near the end...

Last edited by Greg-Florida; 03-11-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Real Name
    Greg

Okay, cottonmouth still present on Danio so moving him to the 29 QT tank now and dosing with Jungle fungus cure nitrofurazone and thought it would be good to add some salt so I’m adding 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons simultaneously.

Real Name
    Greg

Today is day 4 of the Nitrofurazone in the qt and the box instructions are vague.
    It reads "Second dose may be added in 4 days after a 25% water change." That's it.
    I did a 10G wc (29G tank) on day 3 and replaced the nitro and salt removed.

The white tuft is gone from the Danio's mouth completely as far as I can see. It began reducing the first day.
    He's eating, temp at 84, salt added at 2 TBSP/10G.

Also, the ammonia has been at .25 ppm according to the API master test kit. I've been vacuuming the bb daily. I'm wondering how fast ammonia builds from food/waste on the bottom.
    Last edited by Greg-Florida; 03-22-2023 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarity

Greg, Nitrofurazone impairs the Biofilter. Most discus keepers when treating with it tend to dose daily after big water changes or monitor ammonia and do big water changes as Ammonia Rises... If your pH is in the acidic range the ammonia is less a problem, Nitrites can also spike, but the salt in the tank will prevent the nitrites from being an issue to the fish at these levels.

You can also use Prime to lock up ammonia in a non-toxic form if the levels are stressing the fish.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Greg

Greg, Nitrofurazone impairs the Biofilter. Most discus keepers when treating with it tend to dose daily after big water changes or monitor ammonia and do big water changes as Ammonia Rises... If your pH is in the acidic range the ammonia is less a problem, Nitrites can also spike, but the salt in the tank will prevent the nitrites from being an issue to the fish at these levels.
    You can also use Prime to lock up ammonia in a non-toxic form if the levels are stressing the fish.
    hth,
    al
    t
    Thank you. Is .25ppm ammonia concerning? How long do I treat or when can this Danio be considered cured and returned to the discus tank. pH is 7.8.
    Greg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast