ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: API Master Test Kit Practices - Nitrate Test ?

Real Name
    Greg

Default API Master Test Kit Practices - Nitrate Test ?

Freshwater:
    For Nitrates, instructions say 10 drops of #1, invert tube to mix, shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds (VERY important for accurate results), add 10 drops #2 and shake tube for 60 seconds (VERY important for accurate results).
    Really?

Then wait 5 minutes for results. (I have not noticed any change in results colors past 2 or 3 minutes.

Seems like all you're doing by shaking for 60 seconds is oxygenating the mixture, which may be necessary. Can anybody shed any light on whether all this shaking is really necessary? Has anyone tested different methods?
    Looking for some possible efficiencies here.
    Greg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Default Re: API Master Test Kit Practices - Nitrate Test ?

If you think about the volume difference... you are trying to fully mix 10 drops of a liquid into many mls of a liquid, so that it can react with all the molecules and give you an accurate reading... I think they are over stressing the importance because you will never get test result that are accurate and reproduceable until you mix the chemicals completely. That 30 and 60 second mark is also probably indicative of how long the reaction takes place to be completed.

Alternatively , they watch too much Bond, " Shaken but not stirred"

I tend to lean towards the first explanation .

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images