AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are you now???..in the hobby

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Where are you now???..in the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    ...The trouble is finding an outlet for the fish created. If these apistos successfully spawn, I'll get a chance to see what I can to do move some of them. That could open some doors for outlets for other projects. I do find myself drawn to things that I don't often see. I've never seen an apisto in person until I opened the box that the seller sent mine in. One concern I have is that might very well mean that no one else wants them and that's why no one here carries them. ...
    I don't know where you are in Iowa, but the Minnesota Aquarium Society draws its membership from a 3-hour radius of the Twin Cities. MAS holds 5 virtual auctions where sellers drop off and buyers pick up their goods on Saturdays. There are programs and store crawls associated with each pick up event. Get details at www.aquarium.mn.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    That is a huge bummer. Sounds like its been a really rough few years. Im really sorry for the loss of your mom. The older we get, the more common it becomes among friends losing their aging family members. Never easy at all.

Your flood. I can relate. We had similar here. During the pandemic we had so much time at home my son and I re-did our basement.This had been my fishroom which I gave up when the kids were in highschool and turned it into a place for them and their friends. We decided to gut it and went whole hog.. engineered laminate.. new sheetrock.. new doors ..new paint..new throw rugs.. new couches.. you get the idea.That room had not flooded in over 10 years ..not since I dug up the curtain drain and put a new one in... just had finished the room and a storm hit.... we saw an insane amount of rain. I was at the hospital with mom for chemo when I got the panic call from my wife and kids.. there was 6 inches of water in the basement.. it was like a river pouring in from the foundation. They pumped it as best they could but it was just too much.. By the time I got home alls we could do was open the back door and sweep it out as it poured in. The room was trashed after that and my home office was as well... it was devastating. Im still paying for the original renovation. The storm washed out my gravel driveway . $10,000 in repairs there. I wont even go into the inside cost.We ended up digging up the old driveway and curtain drain and re engineering the whole thing..I now have a curtain drain that should withstand monsoon flooding. Of course all of this happened during the pandemic when funds were non-existent. So yeah.. I feel your pain my friend.
    Dang That Sucks Al!
    Very sorry to hear that!

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I don't know where you are in Iowa, but the Minnesota Aquarium Society draws its membership from a 3-hour radius of the Twin Cities. MAS holds 5 virtual auctions where sellers drop off and buyers pick up their goods on Saturdays. There are programs and store crawls associated with each pick up event. Get details at www.aquarium.mn.
    It would be a five hour one way trip. Maybe more like 6. I think it was about 5 when I drove there from Cedar Rapids many years ago.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Well, it's been a very interesting journey since I started keeping discus and finding this forum. Over the 10 yrs.+ I've made a lot of mistakes and spent a few dollars. I now just keep my 125-gallon going, did the breeding bit, and sold juvies to my local pet store and a few folks in the area. I admire all the folks here in SD and follow any pertinent info that will enhance my discus keeping adventure. I just like to mention someone on U-tube who has discus fish and man o' boy do I feel sorry for those fish. Posted a comment on his channel to please check out SD, but got a negative reply, so be it, poor fish. Peace and love out to all the people here on SD.

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Well, it's been a very interesting journey since I started keeping discus and finding this forum. Over the 10 yrs.+ I've made a lot of mistakes and spent a few dollars. I now just keep my 125-gallon going, did the breeding bit, and sold juvies to my local pet store and a few folks in the area. I admire all the folks here in SD and follow any pertinent info that will enhance my discus keeping adventure. I just like to mention someone on U-tube who has discus fish and man o' boy do I feel sorry for those fish. Posted a comment on his channel to please check out SD, but got a negative reply, so be it, poor fish. Peace and love out to all the people here on SD.
    Same to You Roland!

al

You can point a fish keeper to the forum.. but you can't make them take a swim...... or something like that!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Man this is what I'm talking about, check out this QT setup for a sick discus: https://youtu.be/VSOOc-jRKko
    Not picking on this person or trying to be negative, but what can I say?
    Last edited by farebox; 03-08-2023 at 02:15 AM.

I’m definitely a hard core (Fish Keeper) that still enjoys other fish as well as
    Discus. I do learn towards discus these days, but I honestly still enjoy keeping others as well. My dad was in the hobby for most of my younger and tween years and he kept mostly Oscar’s and Jack Dempseys.

When I got older and into my 20’s (I’m 46 now) I really got back into it myself and kept Africans (Haps & peacocks) and must say they kept me busy for many years, me and my wife also kept community fish like platys and tetras and fish like that. But than I found Geophagus fish and my hobby turned I into a passion when I began to really get into where they came from, and what I can mix them with (Severums) and I can honestly say Severums led me to discus, the shape is similar in some ways, but of course the colors are not. Lo and behold I found myself looking into not the most colorful Discus, but wild Discus about 2 years ago and I’ve never looked back. I will say I’m probably on the fence of being a hardcore nut with discus, but I still have a lot of love for Geos.

Right now I have a 120 gallon aquarium with Geo Sveni, Altifrons, Winemilleri and a few Red Tiger Severums….the conversation has come up to convert it to a Discus tank, right now my 90 gallon and 50 gallon are all discus, but I am on the fence of re homing most of the larger Geos, and doing a group of discus in there. Originally my wife wanted to do a group of Blue Diamonds, but I am slowly leaning towards a full group of either wild blues or wilds greens….we shall see how the next few weeks play out : )

Real Name
    Dave

You all are a bad influence......

Just ordered six 2.5 inch Batata Discus from Hans last night

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12