AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you up to today?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: What are you up to today?

Very generous of the restaurant to donate the funds to the trip for the kids. When Tom and I were raising Diana her high school planned trips to other parts of the world (mostly) Europe. The program was called the Student Ambassador program and a group of the teachers went with the kids. The kids were allowed only one suitcase and they were gone three weeks during the summer. We sent Diana on two of these trips. For us it serves two purposes. Kept her busy part of the summer (we were both working parents) and exposed her to different people and cultures. In my way of thinking the experience broaden her world experience and hopefully helps her to make decisions to college and what to do with her life. Worked like a charm (sort of).

Cool little frog and good thing you caught it when you did Al. I do not hear frogs at my place. I use to (years ago) have an army of little green tree frogs who lived in the shutters. After sunset they would march up the side of the house to eat bugs.Then the cuban tree frogs moved in (invasive) . I haven't seen either tree frog in a number of years and I miss my little greenies
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Very generous of the restaurant to donate the funds to the trip for the kids. When Tom and I were raising Diana her high school planned trips to other parts of the world (mostly) Europe. The program was called the Student Ambassador program and a group of the teachers went with the kids. The kids were allowed only one suitcase and they were gone three weeks during the summer. We sent Diana on two of these trips. For us it serves two purposes. Kept her busy part of the summer (we were both working parents) and exposed her to different people and cultures. In my way of thinking the experience broaden her world experience and hopefully helps her to make decisions to college and what to do with her life. Worked like a charm (sort of).

Cool little frog and good thing you caught it when you did Al. I do not hear frogs at my place. I use to (years ago) have an army of little green tree frogs who lived in the shutters. After sunset they would march up the side of the house to eat bugs.Then the cuban tree frogs moved in (invasive) . I haven't seen either tree frog in a number of years and I miss my little greenies
    I know the cuban tree frogs are an ecological nightmare in Florida.. They eat everything smaller than them... green treefrogs really are hit hard. Its a shame as they are a cool tree frog in their own right. I had one for a few years. A friend of mine worked at Lowes home improvement stores greenhouse. A cuban treefrog came in on some Florida grown nursery stock so she called me. Its thats easy for critters to move from point A to point B.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Just had a nice dinner at a local restaurant. It was a fundraiser for the 8th grade school class. Money went to the 8th grade trip to Washington DC. Its a 4 day trip the whole grade goes to..they see the Capitol, memorials...lay a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldiers... they see and do alot. My wife is a 8th grade history teacher and goes on the trip. Anyhow this restaurant donated the entire ticket price of the dinner to the school specifically for kids that could not afford to go... extremely Generous business giving back to our community. The food was delicious and the whole event was just great .
    This is the way the entire world should be.
    Mama Bear

Just resealed a 30 g long. This tank has been a pita for years. Its the only tank I have had to repeatedly seal every few years. When they made the tank they cut the glass too short on one end.... so the silicon bead is weak there. I should just pitch the tank or use it only for reptiles but an hour or 2 today will buy me a few years use. It isnt an inside tank anymore. I use it outside and this time it will be a green water tank for daphnia and rotifers. If it leaks again no big deal . Time will tell.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I had a 135 with the bottom glass cut short. We discovered the problem about 2 AM when my wife woke me up asking what the strange noise in the living room was. Fun was had by all. This was 30 years ago but we remember it well.

That had to have made a huge mess!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I had a 100 gallon that held for years before it developed a leak. I re-sealed it 3 times before I discovered the problem. One edge was cut a little soft on one edge rather than square. I put an arrow on that piece of glass to remind me which way to put it in. This was about 7 years ago and it's still holding water.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

So this morning I was feeding the frogs FFs and came back a little later and heard a low noise. One of the frogs was chirping and only males chirp.
    Pat

Well woke up to a power outage. Was taking a shower and there goes the power. Called it in and it was localized to my street. Looks like the transformer or its fuse blew. This is lierally where my power feed comes in from the street. Guys were very quick to respond .. considering its Easter Sunday within 30 mins they got someone out here. They are working on it now.

Hopefully its just a fuse and not the whole transformer.

Unfortunately I completely forgot about my brine shrimp hatches and have lost them. Good thing I freeze some.

20240331_074521.jpg

Ah well .. not the best way to start the day)

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Whew.. looks like it was just a fuse.. got my power back on.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Great news Al and hope you got to finish the shower.

Tom and are off to have dinner with our daughter and son-in-law today. Taking the macro lens as Diana and Mike have lots of orchids.
    Happy Easter everyone,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Great news Al and hope you got to finish the shower.

Tom and are off to have dinner with our daughter and son-in-law today. Taking the macro lens as Diana and Mike have lots of orchids.
    Happy Easter everyone,
    Pat
    Have a great Day Pat.. quiet day here for us.. just Carrie and I and the kids.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Have a great Day Pat.. quiet day here for us.. just Carrie and I and the kids.
    That is kind of true for us too Al, Just Tom and I with the kids and the grand puppies and grand ponies lol.
    Pat

Registered Member

Al and Liz
    Re: leaking tank. I have a 75 that i tried to reseal and it never lasted. Then,I tried
    "Liquid rubber", bingo, about 2 years on and it's still good. I also dropped a rock into another 75
    and it cracked the bottom in a spider web design. Coated it with the LR and it's been fine for over a year.
    You may have seen the LR ad on tv where the guy builds a boat out of sheets of plastic and seal with it
    and going cruising down a river with a motor on it no less.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Al and Liz
    Re: leaking tank. I have a 75 that i tried to reseal and it never lasted. Then,I tried
    "Liquid rubber", bingo, about 2 years on and it's still good. I also dropped a rock into another 75
    and it cracked the bottom in a spider web design. Coated it with the LR and it's been fine for over a year.
    You may have seen the LR ad on tv where the guy builds a boat out of sheets of plastic and seal with it
    and going cruising down a river with a motor on it no less.
    Jay
    Interesting Jay. I will have to look into that. Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast