ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: What are you up to today?

Default Re: What are you up to today?

I ran errands today, one of which was to stop by Boe Hog Farm where they gave me a full 10 lbs of free pork heart. I cleaned half and froze half. I'll be making heart tomorrow.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I ran errands today, one of which was to stop by Boe Hog Farm where they gave me a full 10 lbs of free pork heart. I cleaned half and froze half. I'll be making heart tomorrow.
    Awesome Liz..

Heres a good recipe for you to use.
    https://thetopmeal.com/pork-heart-recipe/
    Screenshot_20240411_175834.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I was chatting with one of the owners of Boe's about what parts of the hog they sell. Some in the Asian community not only eat the heart, because it's good for the heart, they also sell blood to be used as food. They mix the blood with water, add salt and it turns into a gel. It is eaten in recipes but also sometimes just eat a cube of it raw, like jello.

I'll try 'most everything once, but unless I was starving, I'd pass on a cube of raw blood, though. I've been thinking of trying heart, though, I read up a while back on pork kidney since I love kidney stew, but they said the pork kidneys are strong in flavor. I'll try the heart recipe, though. Even braised, I expect it to be tough.

I won't be able to do this until I thaw out the heart from the next batch. The fish food batch had already been prepped for the food processor. I expect it to be tough. I'll let y'all know about the flavor.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I was chatting with one of the owners of Boe's about what parts of the hog they sell. Some in the Asian community not only eat the heart, because it's good for the heart, they also sell blood to be used as food. They mix the blood with water, add salt and it turns into a gel. It is eaten in recipes but also sometimes just eat a cube of it raw, like jello.

I'll try 'most everything once, but unless I was starving, I'd pass on a cube of raw blood, though. I've been thinking of trying heart, though, I read up a while back on pork kidney since I love kidney stew, but they said the pork kidneys are strong in flavor. I'll try the heart recipe, though. Even braised, I expect it to be tough.

I won't be able to do this until I thaw out the heart from the next batch. The fish food batch had already been prepped for the food processor. I expect it to be tough. I'll let y'all know about the flavor.
    Liz its not just the Asian community... Italians do similar. When I was growing up my nonni (grandma) would get a whole pig. The family butchered it and shared the various cuts but by far for me the pudding was the best.. the blood was made into a rich chocolate pudding. ..Sanguinaccio Dolce .It was literally incredible.

This is pretty close..

https://www.pastagrammar.com/post/sa...-blood-pudding

Screenshot_20240411_191300.jpg

One of my fondest childhood memories was coming home from school.. we lived on the 3rd fl.. my nonni was on the first. I would help myself to that big bowl of pudding after school.

Im pretty sure a similar treat is made in the Uk called black pudding.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Very cool, Al. An interview with this guy would make for good reading, especially if it had recipes in it. I've been thinking about his business for a long time. Here he is, in nowhere Mississippi, and he has this great business. I know he ships all over the Southeast. He has a market for every part of the pig, down to the blood. He sells the heart valves to hospitals and trows the pieces of heart in with it when he ships a whole one. I guess the rest of the heart would go to waste otherwise which is hard to believe. There are lots of questions I'd like to ask this guy. An interview would be fun.
    Mama Bear

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849