ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you up to today?

Default Re: What are you up to today?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Yesterday I finished mulching the leaves I should have mulched last October. I started at 70 degrees at 3pm wearing shorts and a T shirt and finished at 3:30pm freezing my butt after a 35 degree drop in temp. Last night snow and ice and 18 degrees, lol...

That looks really tasty. I still have those spices you sent me. I'll have to use them as soon as we thaw out.

It was! Definitely put those spices to work!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I'm in a much better mood than I was in yesterday, but it sure is a rainy miserable day. It will get cold later, and drop to 29 Sunday night. I worry about my blueberries. Everything else will be fine with it.

I took some fish and Mystery Snails to Twee at the pet store, then went to the big supermarket where I got Crawfish tail meat for a crawfish etouffee I'll make Sunday. Sunday is ginger chicken day. While it's cold and dank outside, I will party on cooking good stuff. Today, I'll just scrounge up what I can put together.

My fun thing was going to the Asian Market. Everything they have is excellent quality, but it ain't cheap. I got frozen wontons, extra firm tofu, baby Bok choy, kimchee, sesame oil and frozen wontons. I love going to that place but the male owner isn't friendly, and the kid thinks that time means nothing to anyone. I hear the mother is very friendly, but I have yet to see her there.

I have no big projects going on because my body tells me that I'm too old for that now. Projects are so much fun. I've never been a perfectionist, thank God. I'm totally self taught so all I really care about is that it works. I don't do electric. A pluming mistake might give me a flood, but an electrical mistake might kill me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

Well other than working from home watching my aquarium while listening to Irish music I am sniffing bras and panties.

Yup is laundry day today

LOL. Don't get too excited .
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    LOL. Don't get too excited .
    Lol I won't

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Working.

Real Name
    Dave

Fish fed, one load laundry folded, one in the dryer.

Going to put on my Kilt and go to the Heppner, OR St. Paddy's day parade today. I will have a 13 inch bone handled Kukri on my left hip and a nice Sgain Dubh in my right kilt hose (tradition to have arms while in a kilt), and will have my Blackthorn Shillelagh walking stick.

Will eat some good food, drink a beer or two, and then fiddle fart around some more.

I did update the firmware on my full frame DSLR and my Medium format DSLR today.

Listening to The Wolfetones which is Irish Rebel music.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Dave

Yesterday a trip to the St. Paddy's day Parade in Heppner, OR.... And by golly I caught one of them wee folk...... Got all of his gold (foil wrapped chocolates)

335495608_1009568173759530_6357279428995868251_n.jpg

Today played with my macro lens and aquarium.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

After I'd bragged so much about the unseasonably warm weather we've had here, it turned cold. This morning when I woke up it was 27 degrees outside. It won't hurt any of the veggies I have planted, but if it killed all my baby blueberries on my bush I will be heartbroken.

My mind is still on gardening, though. From now on it will get warmer. Wednesday it will be 83! Next weekend I plan on planting summer veggies. A couple of 'mater plants (I like Celebrity) at least 1 Poblano pepper, 1 sweet pepper, and one hot pepper. I don't care about the sweet pepper variety, and I'm not sure what will be available as far as hot peppers. I may have to settle for habanero. So much fun to look forward to!

I had to make a beer/nicotine run earlier. While I was in town, of course I visited my favorite dumpsters and picked up several big boxes, already broken down. My garden will look trashy, but I don't care about appearances. Doing it this way will enable me to garden. Without being able to dig and turn the soil, I had to think of a way I could grow my own favorite veggies and herbs. If my back has taught me one thing, it is to figure out a way I can do something that I could no longer do otherwise.

Today I will be making crawfish Etouffee. I love crawfish season. I think I might like them as much as Maine lobster. Then I have to make a box for shipping tomorrow. I hate making boxes.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 03-20-2023 at 01:08 PM.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    After I'd bragged so much about the unseasonably warm weather we've had here, it turned cold. This morning when I woke up it was 27 degrees outside. It won't hurt any of the veggies I have planted, but if it killed all my baby blueberries on my bush I will be heartbroken.

My mind is still on gardening, though. From now on it will get warmer. Wednesday it will be 83! Next weekend I plan on planting summer veggies. A couple of 'mater plants (I like Celebrity) at least 1 Poblano pepper, 1 sweet pepper, and one hot pepper. I don't care about the sweet pepper variety, and I'm not sure what will be available as far as hot peppers. I may have to settle for habanero. So much fun to look forward to!

I had to make a beer/nicotine run earlier. While I was in town, of course I visited my favorite dumpsters and picked up several big boxes, already broken down. My garden will look trashy, but I don't care about appearances. Doing it this way will enable me to garden. Without being able to dig and turn the soil, I had to think of a way I could grow my own favorite veggies and herbs. If my back has taught me one thing, it is to figure out a way I can do something that I could no longer do otherwise.

Today I will be making crawfish Etouffee. I love crawfish season. I think I might like them as much as Maine lobster. Then I have to make a box for shipping tomorrow. I hate making boxes.
    Liz, check out ebay for smudge pots.. The modern ones are expensive but the old style ones can be had cheap. They aren't exactly eco-friendly but if its just a night or two they might be useful.

A smudge pot (also known as a choofa or orchard heater) is an oil-burning device used to prevent frost on fruit trees. Usually a smudge pot has a large round base with a chimney coming out of the middle of the base. The smudge pot is placed between trees in an orchard. The burning oil creates heat, smoke, carbon dioxide, and water vapor. It was believed that this oil burning heater would help keep the orchard from cooling too much during the cold snaps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz, check out ebay for smudge pots.. The modern ones are expensive but the old style ones can be had cheap. They aren't exactly eco-friendly but if its just a night or two they might be useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot

al
    Thank you so much Al. I'd never heard of them before. Next time, I'll have one.
    Mama Bear

Today I am heading to my in-laws house to perform wall surgery. Today will be day one of a several day repair. They have had some settling of the foundation and have some cracked walls. I am hoping I don't need to completely re-sheetrock but we will see...it just may look worse than it is. That hall way has been a problem in the past...

Then FDBW orders and water changes.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jake

Bless you for tackling drywall repair. While I am quite handy, mud work is one of my least favorite activities when it comes to repairs.

Today, it is cool and rainy. I'll be working, then cooking dinner, then relaxing with some TV or games.

Real Name
    Greg

This morning I'm playing hooky from work and changing some water in my qt tank after a dentist appointment earlier.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I went to the feed store for vegetable plants. I was disappointed to see that my favorite dumpsters had been emptied, but I did get some plants I want. I got a Celebrity tomato, a jalapeno, a squash which I find flavorless, same as eggplant. The BN and mystery snails love the stuff. I still need another Celebrity, 2 Poblano peppers, and a few more herbs and I'll be set.

Y'all would laugh your head of if you saw my garden. I don't think that anyone's red neck gardens can compete with mine, with cardboard covering everything. But if it enables me to grow stuff without having do dig, I'm happy with it. I love sticking stuff in the ground, watching it grow, and present me with really good food.

I'm still mourning the loss of my blueberry crop, but at least the bushes lived. I'm hoping that since it wasn't able to grow the berries to maturity, it might mean that I'll get an even better crop next year.
    Mama Bear

Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast