ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you up to today?

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: What are you up to today?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'd love to see a pic of your bicycle, Dave. How does carbon fiber feel compared to steel. I once had a Klein aluminum frame. It was very stiff as advertised but not as comfortable as my chrome moly frame from Fuji. I actually had a dream about that racing bike last night.
    I still have my 1985 steel 12 speed. I will convert it over to the 700mm wheels as it has 27 inch wheels (can't find tires easily), and then convert the drive train over so it is a 36 speed (three in front, 12 in rear) as it will make a heck of a touring bike. Steel is a smoother ride, carbon is a more responsive ride, and due to the lower weight (at least 10 pounds lighter on my carbon bikes) it is easier for this fat boy to ride up the hills.

Today I put a lamb roast in the oven with McCormick "Montreal Steak" rub on it. I pulled it from the oven at 153 degrees internal; it is now resting.
    Roast.jpg

Old bike is an Orbea Orca 61cm frame (yes I am tall). 2013 model bought brand new in 2015 for 20.00 over cost (1700.00 total for a bike that retailed at 3500.00). I upgraded the wheels to Rolf Prima wheels (1000.00 for the wheelset, but I don't have to take them in monthly for spoke replacement and wheel truing due to my weight of 350 pounds), upgraded the bars to 46cm wide 35mm diameter Deda carbon fiber bars, Shimano Dura-Ace (racing line) pedals, Stages power meter (left crank), currently running a Fizik saddle (have run many saddles over the years) that is 3d printed, and Maxxis brand tubeless tires at 25mm wide. This bike has an Ultegra 11 speed drivetrain (11 gears on rear cassette) with a 50-34 chainring in the front. overall somewhere between 4000-5000.00 in this bike.

Orbea.jpg

New Bike is a 2023 Bianchi Infinito (thru axles) 61cm frame. Reform saddle (custom moldable to my rear end.... 400.00 online about 250.00 from my bike shop), Rolf Prima wheelset (1200.00), disk brakes, Stages dual side power meter (measures watt output from both left and right leg) with 52/36 chainring in the front, 12 speed Ultegra drivetrain, Deda 35mm diameter 46cm wide bars. I have 8500.00 into this build
    Drive Train is Di2 electronic shifting

For me the expense is a medical cost as cycling helps maintain my diabetes and mental health.

Bianchi.jpg

The Counterveil technology of the Bianchi (the way the carbon fiber is laid) greatly reduces the vibration from the road as steel absorbs most of the vibration, Aluminum makes you feel more vibration, and carbon fiber makes you feel all the vibration (the difference between riding in a Cadillac or a Corvette).

If you think 8500.00 is expensive just know the bikes on the pro-tours can be as much as 25000.00, and those are designed with planned obsolescence as do many cell phones now days as the bike and parts manufacturers want current year gear on the tours and not last year's stuff....
    Last edited by dagray; 05-21-2023 at 05:56 PM.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

The links to your pics didn't work, Dave. Back when I had the bike shop the top of the line was chromemoly with Su1ntour equipment. It was a 12 speed. Back then 12 was the most you would get for a racing bike. We had 18 speeds for touring bikes only. Before that, when I was a teenager the top of the line equipment was Campagnolo. The Japanese's stuff was junk back then. I had a 20 1/2" frame because I'm real short. I can no longer remember what that was in mm's. The best saddle I ever has was a woman's Brooks from England. It was a heavier saddle because it was leather, but leather conforms to your butt which made it worth the weight.

As far as what I was up to today, I mostly chilled out because I was so totally stressed the day before. I actually ate! I couldn't eat yesterday. My only "job" was to make a couple of boxes for shipping tomorrow.

I've fed the horse dinner and finished WC. The batteries on my mobility scooter died and I had to order 2 more, so I'll have to walk all the way out to the veggie garden (all of 50 yards) but a bit of a walk for me so I can enjoy the out of doors for a bit It's a little cooler today and the birds should be singing there even songs about this time. Then inside again for a lovely hot bubble bath before I hit the sack, have a bowl of good ice cream, and crack open my new book.
    Mama Bear

The links to your pics didn't work, Dave. Back when I had the bike shop the top of the line was chromemoly with Suntour equipment. It was a 12 speed. Back then 12 was the most you would get for a racing bike. We had 18 speeds for touring bikes only. Before that, when I was a teenager the top of the line equipment was Campagnolo. The Japanese's stuff was junk back then. I had a 20 1/2" frame because I'm real short. I can no longer remember what that was in cm's. The best saddle I ever has was a woman's Brooks from England. It was a heavier saddle because it was leather, but leather conforms to your butt which made it worth the weight.

As far as what I was up to today, I mostly chilled out because I was so totally stressed the day before. I actually ate! I couldn't eat yesterday. My only "job" was to make a couple of boxes for shipping tomorrow.

I've fed the horse dinner and finished WC. The batteries on my mobility scooter died and I had to order 2 more, so I'll have to walk all the way out to the veggie garden (all of 50 yards) but a bit of a walk for me so I can enjoy the out of doors for a bit It's a little cooler today and the birds should be singing there even songs about this time. Then inside again for a lovely hot bubble bath before I hit the sack, have a bowl of good ice cream, and crack open my new book.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

The links to your pics didn't work, Dave. Back when I had the bike shop the top of the line was chromemoly with Suntour equipment. It was a 12 speed. Back then 12 was the most you would get for a racing bike. We had 18 speeds for touring bikes only. Before that, when I was a teenager the top of the line equipment was Campagnolo. The Japanese's stuff was junk back then. I had a 20 1/2" frame because I'm real short. I can no longer remember what that was in cm's. The best saddle I ever has was a woman's Brooks from England. It was a heavier saddle because it was leather, but leather conforms to your butt which made it worth the weight.

Used the form software to upload photos from my desktop (I loaded them from my cell phone).

My 35 year old steel bike is a 26 inch frame Centurion "LeMans". And yes the racing bikes were 12 speed (six gears on the rear cassette) with the touring bikes being up to 18 speed back in 1985. It has the Suntour shifters. And yes Campi and other Italian bikes were the stuff, and Brooks saddles still have quite the following.

Have fun soaking; don't drop your book in the bath.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Frank

Love the bike Dave. I have two, Specialized Roubaix and a Tarmac. I got the Tarmac just before cycling prices skyrocketed. My Roubaix is trainer-confined due to a crash.

Specialized Roubaix
    94417-33_RBX_EXPERT-UDI2_TARBLK-CHAR.jpg

Specialized Tarmac
    IMG_0012.jpeg

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Love the bike Dave. I have two, Specialized Roubaix and a Tarmac. I got the Tarmac just before cycling prices skyrocketed. My Roubaix is trainer-confined due to a crash.
    Very nice.

I use a Tac-X wheel on trainer. I will use my Orbea on that as I have a trainer tire for it on a spare wheel. Also it has a narrower gear ratio so it will be a bit harder on the climbs which will make real life outside riding easier. I use BKool (bkool.com) who was one of the first smart trainers program to control my trainer or Zwift. BKool allows me to ride my routes or routes I input inside and Zwift has better graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I spent lots of my time sailing the LI sound. Enjoy Al!,

We Did Chuck, it was a really calm day on the CT River and a beautiful Sunset.

Essex by the River by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Touched by the Sun by Al Sabetta, on Flickr
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The sun in that first pic is beyond belief. Looks like someone painted it.
    Mama Bear

The sun in that first pic is beyond belief. Looks like someone painted it.
    Thanks Liz, I think alot of that color is from the terrible forest Fires in Canada.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    I still have my 1985 steel 12 speed. I will convert it over to the 700mm wheels as it has 27 inch wheels (can't find tires easily), and then convert the drive train over so it is a 36 speed (three in front, 12 in rear) as it will make a heck of a touring bike. Steel is a smoother ride, carbon is a more responsive ride, and due to the lower weight (at least 10 pounds lighter on my carbon bikes) it is easier for this fat boy to ride up the hills.

Today I put a lamb roast in the oven with McCormick "Montreal Steak" rub on it. I pulled it from the oven at 153 degrees internal; it is now resting.
    Roast.jpg

Old bike is an Orbea Orca 61cm frame (yes I am tall). 2013 model bought brand new in 2015 for 20.00 over cost (1700.00 total for a bike that retailed at 3500.00). I upgraded the wheels to Rolf Prima wheels (1000.00 for the wheelset, but I don't have to take them in monthly for spoke replacement and wheel truing due to my weight of 350 pounds), upgraded the bars to 46cm wide 35mm diameter Deda carbon fiber bars, Shimano Dura-Ace (racing line) pedals, Stages power meter (left crank), currently running a Fizik saddle (have run many saddles over the years) that is 3d printed, and Maxxis brand tubeless tires at 25mm wide. This bike has an Ultegra 11 speed drivetrain (11 gears on rear cassette) with a 50-34 chainring in the front. overall somewhere between 4000-5000.00 in this bike.

Orbea.jpg

New Bike is a 2023 Bianchi Infinito (thru axles) 61cm frame. Reform saddle (custom moldable to my rear end.... 400.00 online about 250.00 from my bike shop), Rolf Prima wheelset (1200.00), disk brakes, Stages dual side power meter (measures watt output from both left and right leg) with 52/36 chainring in the front, 12 speed Ultegra drivetrain, Deda 35mm diameter 46cm wide bars. I have 8500.00 into this build
    Drive Train is Di2 electronic shifting

For me the expense is a medical cost as cycling helps maintain my diabetes and mental health.

Bianchi.jpg

The Counterveil technology of the Bianchi (the way the carbon fiber is laid) greatly reduces the vibration from the road as steel absorbs most of the vibration, Aluminum makes you feel more vibration, and carbon fiber makes you feel all the vibration (the difference between riding in a Cadillac or a Corvette).

If you think 8500.00 is expensive just know the bikes on the pro-tours can be as much as 25000.00, and those are designed with planned obsolescence as do many cell phones now days as the bike and parts manufacturers want current year gear on the tours and not last year's stuff....
    I meant to reply to this what seems like ages ago. I can't believe how bicycles have improved when I had mine. Back then, my racing bike was state of the art. The frame was $1000. wholesale and I had all the components, but if I'd have to buy them the complete bicycle would have been no more than $3000. To train indoors I had rollers that I put in front of the TV. God, this makes me feel as old as dirt.
    Mama Bear

It's hard to believe, but for the past 2 days my back hasn't been so bad that I could only do what's necessary. I was planning to clean yesterday, but the batteries to my scooter arrived from FedEx. I did a lot of lifting and bending and the batteries were heavy, so that was all I got done except for normal chores.

Today I'm getting some house cleaning done. I've got the entire joint swept except the office and bedroom. I don't use the office any more and the bedroom isn't bad. I've had to take a break and sit 2 or 3 times, but that's to be expected. Next I'll vacuum up what the broom left, mop and dust. As soon as the first load of laundry is done I'll take it out to the pasture fence on the scooter and hang it do dry, and wash the throw rugs. It sure will be nice to have a presentable house again. Back to work now
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

I meant to reply to this what seems like ages ago. I can't believe how bicycles have improved when I had mine. Back then, my racing bike was state of the art. The frame was $1000. wholesale and I had all the components, but if I'd have to buy them the complete bicycle would have been no more than $3000. To train indoors I had rollers that I put in front of the TV. God, this makes me feel as old as dirt.
    Rollers are still very much in use.

I figure my old steel bike (1985 model) in today's dollars to be around 2500.00. Mom paid 600.00 and it was on sale due to being a 1985 model in Dec of 1985 when new models were out..

I figured out my tire issue on the back tire of the new bike... the valve stem wasn't fully seated (tubeless tires. Valve stem attaches to the wheel and can be removed if one needs to use a tube to get home).

Built an addition onto my chicken coop. My last two batches of chicks are growing great.. had our first rooster crowing from the first batch of chicks. Hes going to be a real beauty. We are thinking he may be a keeper and we msy rehome his dad... his dad "Red" is a great bird but he really messes with his dad "ozzy" alot. They talk smack all day. If red doesnt crow.. ozzy wont .

20230527_194431.jpg

Now the day is done, Im beat.Just sitting by the fire grilling a few sirloins and fire roasted potatoes for dinner..

20230527_194406.jpg

20230527_200348.jpg

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-27-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Greg

I finally cleaned my wood :-)

Hose bib in picture is dechlorinated.

Hope you all have a very nice and relaxful Memorial Day.
    Greg

IMG_7607a.jpg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

That sure is a pretty piece of wood, Greg.

I'm plum tuckered today after cleaning house yesterday. When my back feels pretty good, I forget I'm no longer wonder woman or even a normal woman, and plan to do more than I can get done. Moving furniture around to get the areas vacuumed and mopped was what wore me out. I got some mopping done, but have more to mop. I doubt that I'll get it done today, but I'll try.

I did get going early again. The rest of the throw rugs are clean and hung on the pasture do dry as are my bed sheets. I found a stink but yesterday and one today, but they haven't found my 'maters yet. I must get the insect netting on the plants before they get plentiful and ruin my crop like they did last year.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 05-28-2023 at 11:57 AM.
    Mama Bear

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast