AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you up to today?

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: What are you up to today?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's 80 degrees here in February which is unheard of. I want to enjoy it.
    I hate to break it to you, Liz. But we're a third of the way through March already!

Glad you found your phone... Amazing how well we hide them sometimes.

Real Name
    Willie

Hit 39 yesterday in Minnesota. One more degree and it's shorts weather!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Going to hit mid 40s today in CT. I would love to head out to the shore sometime today but unfortunately I am home bound..need to move a few cords of firewood this morning. Planning on converting a 12x15 space under my deck to an axolotl room. Eventually I have a special needs brother that is moving in here.. he will get my office/fishroom and I will convert the axolotl room to my office/ discus space. Its going to be alot of work and expense but you have to do what you have to do.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Dave

going to do a water change on my 75 gallon... then am going to look at setting up an inline UV filter on the Fluval 406 return line to the 75 gallon tank.

Also might move the 20 from the oldest son's room (he done grew up and moved out) to my youngest son's room so I can get it started. I have a sponge filter I will get running in my 75 gallon and some Seachem bacteria to start the cycle on that tank when we get it going. I am going to run it with either a bleach/water, vinegar/water, or H202/water combination to get rid of the limescale/hard water inside the tank, and then will run the filter (A/C 50) with a water/H202 combination to kill any bad bacteria in the sponge media.

I also will take the patient paperwork to a new clinic 15 miles away as my doc passed in January, and she was younger than I was.

I may try to add a sling to a shotgun.

Not working today as my fasting glucose was 404 without any carbs yesterday... I think it is due to pain levels from open wounds (ingrown hairs/calcified hair follicles), lack of regenerative sleep, and lack of exercise as the wounds have kept me off the bike.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Man Dave, you are dealing with some stuff. It's a shame you can't sleep. I would be in a pickle if I weren't good at sleeping because my spine requires me to take pressure off it. I get in bed, close my eyes and I'm gone for the night.

It is so fabulously beautiful this March day I yearn to plant my summer veggie garden. If the back would allow it, I would take a spading fork and turn over the whole plot. But I have stumbled upon the answer to not being able to dig.

I ordered some large items last fall. I got a hot water heater, a medium size TV, and a gas heater for my fish room. Instead of putting the boxes on the burn pile I just laid them out in my garden to smother the weeds and decompose to help the soil. They don't require any hard lifting. I'm always on the lookout for boxes to ship fish in. I notice dumpsters full of already broken down boxes that are headed to the land fill. What a waste!!!! I can use these in my vegetable patch. I can't believe that I am so slow that it just occurred to me after half the plot was covered with my cardboard boxes.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 03-09-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I just returned from a photo workshop in South Florida so I will be working on laundry, feeding the jumping spiders, doing a WC and feeding fish and returning to my normal routine . The weather is gorgeous here may just sit on the front porch and enjoy the day.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Spent the morning working on the hen houses.. added some nesting boxes and moved the birds to different flocks as we were having some dominant hen issues. Then took our rooster for a walk . Red gets it in his thick bird brain from time to time that he is the head honcho of the barn yard. Its a great trait for a rooster when it comes to protecting his flock from a predator... its not so great when he decides you are the predator. So I enrolled him in therapy. From time to time if he gets a little big for his britches we spend some quality time together . I grab him and literally walk around the yard with him. Putting him in a position where he is clearly not the head honch usually mellows him out for weeks. He is a big rooster but his spurs are still small.. better to train him now than when he is able to really do damage.. Thankfully his dad , ozzy, is a gentle fellow as his spurs are close to 3 inches long and would do some serious damage..

Now its time to do water changes

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Way back when I bred dairy goats I had some chickens, too One day I was walking to the bucks shed with a bucket of feed and a rooster came out of what seemed like no where and attacked me. I was taken aback. I never expected that, but I made a plan of what I would do if he tried again. The very next morning it happened again and I kicked that sucker like a foot ball. If he died, I wouldn't care. He broke the cardinal rule around here about doing no harm to other farm mates, me included. A few days later he was there when I fed but he was an absolute gentlemen.

My current hen Chicken Chicken has adopted a new behavior now that she's laying an egg. When I walk up from behind her she "assumes the position". Apparently I've become the dominant rooster just as the dogs, cat and horse are her flock mates.

I went to the feed store for a couple hundred lbs of senior horse feed. I got a parsley plant, a Rosemary, and little Vidalia onion plants too. Then I went dumpster diving for cardboard. I can't actually dive but I picked up what I could reach. Then I broke them down and covered my vegetable garden with them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

I see I am not the only rooster wangler on the forum
    Pat

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I just returned from a photo workshop in South Florida so I will be working on laundry, feeding the jumping spiders, doing a WC and feeding fish and returning to my normal routine . The weather is gorgeous here may just sit on the front porch and enjoy the day.
    Pat
    So did you attend, speak, lead, or host the event?
    Enjoying your bird photos.
    Greg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Dave

Got to sleep in and wake up slowly with my coffee

Did some laundry

Went to a play at the high school with my wife

Did a 30 gallon water change

Opened the house and turned off the furnace

Real Name
    Greg

Had a big list today but went into the fish room early, and the rest is history. Got little else done, and that's fine. I think I'm really learning to truly relax and just enjoy the moments with these fish.

It always amazes me how I get naturally drawn in to spending time in there so magically easy. Time just seems to go by with hardly a care in the world and before you know it my wife is calling me for lunch.

Same thing happens in the evening when I go to learn on the forum, time flies by.

No tanks were due for water changes today, yet I did two of them and cleaned a few walls. I think I'm catching on. Al said something that stuck with me... "But, I tend to treat all fish like Discus."

Have a good rest of your weekend!
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Al said something that stuck with me... "But, I tend to treat all fish like Discus."
    Im honored you remembered!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

Water changed the discus tank... like every day.
    Water changed the community tank in my daughter's room. She keeps claiming the sterbai "go crazy" in the mornings when she first gets up, so I added a spawning mop to see if I can find any eggs. Dropped the tank temp about four degrees with the water change.
    Water changed the 46 bow front with all the stinking swordtails. Oddly, I don't think I have a single male in that tank. I know it takes them awhile to develop their tails, but I can't identify any of them with that long ventral(?) fin that starts with a G. I find that almost impossible, but I think my mother-in-law said she only had two that looked like male and she probably had 40 of them from the same batch as mine (I got them from her). This is a good thing, I do not want to deal with live bearers overpopulating everything that holds water in the house.

Water changed my mostly empty "QT" tank because as of right now, my 10 gallon with celestial pearl danios was unfortunately stricken with a 4:1 male:female CPD ratio in my mail order. So she is so harassed in the main tank that she holds eggs. So I pull her once every couple weeks with one male and let her get all her eggs out once she looks like a pregnant mini-whale. I ran the tweezers and my daughter ran the pipette and we collected 35 eggs into a breeding box. Not bad for two days of spawning.

Their main tank jungle:
    20230306_193922.jpg

Some of the eggs:
    20230311_173810.jpg

I'm going to give them a shot. I'm already hatching baby brine and feeding that twice a day to my apistogrammas, so once I get them to that size (if they hatch), then they should be able to hit the ground running. I know the first couple weeks are tough because of how tiny they are initially. Should be interesting, at least. Maybe. I've done live bearers and mouth brooders, but never egg scatterers.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 03-12-2023 at 12:13 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-Florida View Post
    So did you attend, speak, lead, or host the event?
    Enjoying your bird photos.
    Greg
    Hi Greg, I was there to learn about my latest camera and walked away with a few very useful tips. The last morning myself and another couple went out together. I did do a little leading since I am familiar with Florida birds and their behaviors.
    Pat

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast