AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you up to today?

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: What are you up to today?

20240316_073122.jpg

These hatched overnight. Put them in with the parents and they sem to be guarding them. The male is at least. He seemed really excited when he saw them. Flared out all his fins and parked over them.
    This is a great data point for me and probably points to why I have never had a successful apisto spawn either.

Liz, I was hoping it was just my experience that BN are slow growers.

I know that they do sell them as little guys on AB. Something to keep in mind once you start shipping.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    20240316_073122.jpg

These hatched overnight. Put them in with the parents and they sem to be guarding them. The male is at least. He seemed really excited when he saw them. Flared out all his fins and parked over them.
    This is a great data point for me and probably points to why I have never had a successful apisto spawn either.

Liz, I was hoping it was just my experience that BN are slow growers.
    Good going Jacob , that is a good sign the male likes to guard the eggs I think that's his job.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

20240316_151121.jpg

20240316_151223.jpg

Well, they moved them to another dish that I haven't cleaned because they've never used it. Of course they would... haha
    Pretty cool that they just kind of adopted them back.

20240316_151121.jpg

20240316_151223.jpg

Well, they moved them to another dish that I haven't cleaned because they've never used it. Of course they would... haha
    Pretty cool that they just kind of adopted them back.
    They are trying to hide them from you. They tend to do that.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Interesting day so far. My plan is to go to a friends house later today and photograph a newly hatch Sandhill colt. However just learned my brother-in-law who was on a cruise was taken off the ship and admitted to the hospital in Port Canaveral. They are not sure what is going on with him.
    Pat
    Thats not good Pat! Sorry to hear this. Any news?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thats not good Pat! Sorry to hear this. Any news?
    Al
    Hey Al, they had to remove his appendix and it also had ruptured. So they had to clean out the body cavity with saline water. They’re keeping him two days at least to make sure he going to be OK.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hoping for an uneventful and speedy recovery.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hey Al, they had to remove his appendix and it also had ruptured. So they had to clean out the body cavity with saline water. They’re keeping him two days at least to make sure he going to be OK.
    Pat
    He should buy a lottery ticket when he gets out Pat..talk about lucky.. to happenen on a cruise ship. Thats a really serious injury. Hope he has a speedy recovery!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hope now all is well and he gets better.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Hoping for an uneventful and speedy recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    He should buy a lottery ticket when he gets out Pat..talk about lucky.. to happenen on a cruise ship. Thats a really serious injury. Hope he has a speedy recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Hope now all is well and he gets better.
    Thanks Liz, Al and Chuck I will report back with an update next day or so
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Patiently waiting for my garden seeds I ordered 3 weeks ago. I signed up for "Informed Delivery" from USPS and they've been sitting in my local post office 1/2 mile away for 2 weeks along with all my bills, lol...

A substitute delivery guy finally made it to my house at 7:54am Sunday and he only brought me junk ads...

I guess I'll be buying plants this year...

Real Name
    Jacob

My black ram fry slowly dwindled (seemed to be half as many every time I saw that the mom was taking a shift instead of the dad). The day after they were all gone the female on the other side of the divider was dead, perhaps from her male, her fins looked a little rough but they were fine leading up to that. She looked quite ready to spawn and the two pairs in that divided tank had been spawning within 24 hours of each other. The male kept guarding the dish and was dancing for her, but she didn't seem like she wanted to. Normally all the other pairs have just hung out together pretty much all the time. Makes me wonder if there's some hormone that's released by fry that might have got the female (or male) feeling different?

Hoping one of the pairs left spawns soon. Getting wigglers after moving them to pure RO was really enlightening. I'm almost positive that this is the same issue I've had with my apistos. For the apistos I've had the water down to TDS between 15 and 30 and have still never had successful egg hatching. It seems almost impossible that the difference between 0 (and a little methylene blue) and 15 is that drastic.

My black ram fry slowly dwindled (seemed to be half as many every time I saw that the mom was taking a shift instead of the dad). The day after they were all gone the female on the other side of the divider was dead, perhaps from her male, her fins looked a little rough but they were fine leading up to that. She looked quite ready to spawn and the two pairs in that divided tank had been spawning within 24 hours of each other. The male kept guarding the dish and was dancing for her, but she didn't seem like she wanted to. Normally all the other pairs have just hung out together pretty much all the time. Makes me wonder if there's some hormone that's released by fry that might have got the female (or male) feeling different?

Hoping one of the pairs left spawns soon. Getting wigglers after moving them to pure RO was really enlightening. I'm almost positive that this is the same issue I've had with my apistos. For the apistos I've had the water down to TDS between 15 and 30 and have still never had successful egg hatching. It seems almost impossible that the difference between 0 (and a little methylene blue) and 15 is that drastic.
    Coralbandit use to say "The blacks were either the best parents or homicidal maniacs". I have had males kill females or they jump out of the tank if you give them a chance. They can be very aggressive at times.
    Just Call Me Chuck

At least I know now that I'm not the only one who has water that makes no logical sense.
    Mama Bear

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast