AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Thinking about Discus once again!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alex

Red face Thinking about Discus once again!

Hello!

New member here! I used to have 2 tanks around 20 years ago, 1 with Discus and they were breeding. To be honest not so many information like today at that time, so was mostly try and error.
    Now is 20 years without any tanks, but planning to start again. My idea would be to take a 300 liters (not sure I can get a 350 liters due to space limitations).

The goal would be a nice planted tank with maybe 4 Discus plus some other small stuff. Still planning at the moment and reading a lot of useful info!

Thanks,
    G.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Thinking about Discus once again!

Stop thinking and get on it!!

Welcome to Simply and keep us updated on your progress. There's plenty to read here but don't hesitate to ask anything you have questions about!! You've come to the right place!!

Agree with Brian 100% come on in, the water is fine here!

Seriously, you came to the right place, we have members here that have some nice planted tanks with Discus that you can tap into for tips.

Glad you found us!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted on your progress. Will you be buying your discus from a local shop or online?

It's good to have you here, Alex. Go ahead and take the leap. Things have changed a lot since the time we had to depend on doing what the Discus books say. Read around and you will have a good time keeping Discus.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alex

thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
    for now I am looking this wonderful video that I discovered reading the forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8&t=2056s

I am rethinking about a planted tank with Discus based on what discussed on the video, but it will be a display tank as the only place I have for the tank is the living room, so anyway I need some sort of aesthetically nice tank to use as a piece of decor too. Anyway still probably at least 2-3 months before I will get the tank, so time to think.

Not sure where to get the discus, according to google there is some reputable shop that gets solid Discus since years...

Thanks!
    G.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Alex and welcome aboard. That is a great video by Al who runs this place and posted above. When I joined I took four months to decide how I wanted to approach discus so good decision to not rush it
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alex

If I can make a stilish bare tank maybe with some driftwood I will go for it.
    Now the problem is that, the more I read, the more I realise that I need at least a second tank for quarantine and maybe a third one for breeding. This can become a problem as I don't have so much space.

Is there a minimum size for a breeding tank and quarantine tank? I have searched in the forum and people mention several measures...

G.

20 gallon, but 29 is better. for breeding you will need lots of grow out space. Spawns of 150 are not uncommon. It takes lots of tank space to grow the kids out to sellable size.

I know people who have moved just to have more room for tanks. I had a fish room built on to my house. Others have an out building they use for a fish room. Discus are as addictive as any pharmaceutical.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

Welcome back! I just did the same thing.

Real Name
    Willie

When space is limited, consider putting in a double rack. A big tank on top and 2 - 3 smaller tanks on the bottom will provide quarantine and breeding tanks.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Qt tank is needed and a 29 is a great size. A breeding tank isn’t. Unless you plan to breed. They will still lay eggs in the main tank. But they will get eaten sooner or later. Mine constantly lay eggs. Here’s my BB 180.485B6AA0-996D-45D3-AC4D-BE14237E68EA.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alex

I need to plan well, as mainly the tank will be in a living room so if I need to place the QT tank below I also need a way to make it look nicer.
    Can the quarantine tank be closed inside the cabinet? I mean I can leave the back open for air? How much instead is recommended for a breeding tank?
    Last edited by gamberettoJJ; 06-12-2023 at 03:30 PM.