ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Getting back into Discus after 15-20 years, a few questions.

Registered Member

Default Getting back into Discus after 15-20 years, a few questions.

Hello I have experience with Discus but am starting a tank for the first time in over 15 years and wanted to get a couple of opinions.

I am going to be doing a 55 gallon bare bottom tank with a school of cardinals and maybe 1-2 rams. Plan on having some wood in there with maybe a couple of plants attached to the wood that is it.
    I know 55gal is pretty small ... I know 75g or bigger would be better ... but I have a pretty small house and the office it is going in doesn't work with the depth of the 75g My question is 5 or 6 discus? Not sure what modern thought is on if 5 is enough of a school. I will be doing regular 3x weekly WC.
    Second question is has anyone done any business lately with Macs discus? I am looking at either going through him, Wattley, or Hans for the discus. Please send me a message if you have something you don't want to say openly on the forum.

Looking forward to be being back in the game and hope you all have a great day!
    Matt

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Getting back into Discus after 15-20 years, a few questions.

What size discus are you planing to get? I’d sat get the discus first and go from there on dither fish. When you first get them change the water daily at 50%. Hans is the best of the 3. Nothing good said of the other 2. They’re not the sellers they used to be. Other good sellers Dennis Discus,Ping and Chicago Discus. Plus those sponsored here.

Registered Member

Probably 3 to 3.5 inchers. Seems like the best bang for your buck without going dangerously small.

Real Name
    Tom

Good size. But you’re still going to need to change water daily and feed about 6 times a day for best results. I bought 4 3.5 from Dennis discus in 21 they are now 6-6.5 and great fish. Also bought 4 from Ping last September and they are growing very nicely. Ping should be getting a delivery soon. He brings in fish monthly.

Registered Member

Kind of sucks being in WA state, all the good breeders are on the east coast. I would love to get some F2 Batatas from Hans but shipping is over 150 bucks. Ping shipping is pretty expensive as well but looks like they have some good prices especially on some 4+ guys. Will have to see what his new order is. Chicago Discus is also getting in a shipment this week looks like. Wish more places did airport pickup. You get them usually same day I believe and shipping is about half as much. I also have an airport within 15 minutes of my house. (almost everything is within 15-20 minutes in Spokane.)
    Last edited by Valik; 03-09-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Pompous Discus is in Texas. He gets the same fish as Ping. Also there are some sellers in California.

Registered Member

So I tried and track down where my LFS here in Spokaane gets their discus from (which is The Wet Spot in Portland) and when I contacted them I got this response
    "Our Discus are sourced from a reputable breeder in Singapore who does not use hormones." I wasn't really considered buying them from there anyway but was just curious. Now I definitely am not.

Real Name
    Francis

Try Jeffrey Moy @ https://www.exotic-discus.com/

Ps

We here at Exotic Discus not only have some of the best discus and prices around, but we also have the largest selection of discus in the Chicago land and the Midwest. We can ship discus to anyone in the United States (We have a cheaper shipping rate than most sellers!). Please get in touch with us for more info.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Golden State Discus is in the SF area and they have a very good reputation. Gill at Discus Direct is in Southern Ca. I'm not sure if that would help on shipping...