AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing how much interest...

Real Name
    Brian

Default Seeing how much interest...

I've been thinking of selling SimplyDiscus T-shirts. Some of you have seen the photo's I posted about a week ago, and I'm wanting to know if there's any interest, although some people have contacted me privately wanting one.

I did a lot of research in the best way to produce them, but obviously not enough. Sublimation printing is a process that heats and atomizes the ink and impregnates the material as opposed to a vinyl sheet that sticks to the material (iron-on). Sublimation is much nicer in feel and appearance, but, and here's where my lack of research comes in, I found out sublimation printing is not recommended for cotton, which is the only T-shirt material I wear, and it absolutely will not print on dark cotton. I have yet to test a 50/50 poly-cotton blend.

The shirts I'm using so far aren't the cheap $2 shirts that feel like they're on backwards, they are very nice and soft, 6.1oz pigment dyed cotton. I've ordered some 7.5oz cotton to test with that should arrive soon. They are unisex (the 7.5oz is men's), but that's all there is these days and they do wear nicely.

So here's the question. How much interest is there in a custom made Simply T-shirt, with a Simply logo on the back, and a custom chest logo that includes your Simply username and a picture of your favorite discus or whatever else you want. If the interest is there, I may open a Simply sponsorship and store and expand to other items. I've talked to Al and he would certainly rather see this happen than use the Cafe Express website that charges outrageous prices for the cheap $2 shirts and keeps 95% of the money. These custom made shirts would run about $30 including domestic shipping within the USA. An additional charge for international shipping. Since these shirts aren't cheap, this will give just a few dollars to me and a few dollars donated to the forum.

Here is one on white. It shows the best colors. The blue is not bad but you can see the color isn't quite as brilliant, although the people who have received them love them. I wouldn't want to go any darker than the blue. I would show you the black, but it's black, lol...

White shirt.jpgblue shirt.jpg

Chest logo's

chest logos.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Seeing how much interest...

I have the blue and love it. Brian is doing a top notch job with these T-shirts
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

After downsizing, I've sworn off collecting T-shirts. But ... a quality design like parents with fry would certain change my mind!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Dave

put this on the back of a short sleeve button down and I would be in.

I rarely wear T-shirts unless they are an undergarment. The button downs I use often.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    put this on the back of a short sleeve button down and I would be in.

I rarely wear T-shirts unless they are an undergarment. The button downs I use often.
    I can look into that. Do you have a preference in color or material? It would be an experiment but I don't know why it wouldn't work... Maybe a polo style?

Registered Member

A bit off topic but what are those shirts above if not sublimated? is that a type of printable HTV you are using?

Real Name
    Dave

a 5x in a nice pastel color. material 50 or more percent cotton.

I would gladly pay.

King Size (clothing distributor online) has shirts that hold up but are inexpensive. Sometimes the colors fade funny, but that is okay.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Valik View Post
    A bit off topic but what are those shirts above if not sublimated? is that a type of printable HTV you are using?
    They are sublimated. I've tried HTV and don't like it because it's very stiff and it still didn't show up on black. I have another material coming in in a few days that has good reviews so I'll know soon...

Registered Member

If you haven't yet and you have a sublimation setup you can look at using something like easysubli. It is a vinyl sheet that accepts sublimation onto then you press the vinyl onto the cotton (or whatever accepts HTV). It will feel like a normal vinyl on the shirt though.

Registered Member

I just did another reply but easysubli might be worth looking into. Fixes the showing up on black but not the HTV feel. On cotton screen printing might be the only solution for that I know of.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks. I'll look into that. This is a learning process for me and with the $$ I invested so far, it's too late to change the process.

Real Name
    Dave

Many of the photos printed on canvas are done using sublimation instead of being printed directly to the fabric.

Registered Member

Believe me I know! Love the shirts btw!
    Last edited by Valik; 03-10-2023 at 03:38 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Many of the photos printed on canvas are done using sublimation instead of being printed directly to the fabric.
    Yes, and that's something else Al and I talked about

Unfortunately, I didn't discover wide format sub printers until I bought the one I have so I'm limited to 8 1/2 x 14

You could make great greeting cards. Shame to they're so rarely sent these days.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast