AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Finally.. a good low cal beer!

Default Finally.. a good low cal beer!

I admit it.. I am a beer snob. I like a good beer.. love a good ale. I pair my beer with the activity. Yard work should be paired with a relative crisp ale, lager or pilsner. A steak deserves a stout or hoppy ale.. A really good hoppy ale should be savored... a cheap draft is perfect for a pizza..

Ok.. enough of that. Sometimes I want an all around good ale. Something that really goes well with everything. There are a few these out there but sadly few are for those that maybe counting calories.

Generally low calorie light beers taste like water to me...and they have usually been pilsners or lagers..but at my core I am a homebrewer and cut my teeth on Ales. Most of the time thats my brew of choice. Up until recently low cal ales were rare..now I can finally get my hoppy fix and indulge if I choose to without the calorie penalty. My new best friend.. Dogfish head ale''s SLIGHTLY MIGHTY LO-CAL IPA.. 95 CALORIES but wow.. it has hops and flavor.

20230310_192631.jpg

20230310_192622.jpg

20230310_194348.jpg

Is this an awesome ale.. no. Is it a great ale? Probably not. Is it something I can drink and fully enjoy.. heck yeah! With pizza, yard work, pasta, or just because.

I have always liked dogfish head ales.. but this one is for me brilliant...the best of all worlds.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-10-2023 at 08:51 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Finally.. a good low cal beer!

Less filling, taste great is a scam, but if it's an IPA I'll give it a try!!

If I don't like it, I have a years supply of SN Celebration Ale to fall back on!!!

Brian,
    Also try Omission ultimate Ipa.. though it packs 120 cals..its still fairly light. It has a very hoppy flavor too.

Screenshot_20230311-070757_Chrome.jpg

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Brew. Going to have to try some Mudshark Slightly Mighty when I get back. We're in our nifty fifties now so caloric intake and alcohol content becomes in an issue.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Jake

Dogfish Head makes some good stuff, but I haven't seen that particular brew before. Might have to try it out as a lower calorie option.

I have a couple of friends who are big into homebrewing and looking to open a place so these days I usually just drink whatever they bottle and bring over.

Real Name
    Dave

While not low cal I want to try some Kilt lifter heavy ale

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Dogfish Head makes some good stuff, but I haven't seen that particular brew before. Might have to try it out as a lower calorie option.

I have a couple of friends who are big into homebrewing and looking to open a place so these days I usually just drink whatever they bottle and bring over.

I remember those days... I don't homebrew anymore...maybe a honey mead now and then. When I did homebrew there were not micro breweries on every street corner like there are now. But when I did Brew, that was what I did.. brew it and share it, and brew again... Kind of a vicious cycle. I do miss it sometimes. Sure was cheaper than Micro Brews are!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I should add that I will be brewing one batch of Beer in the next 2years . My son turns 21 in 2024 , and he has requested I brew a batch for him. How can I turn that down.
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com