ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Submersible pump made water change simple

Real Name
    Dave

Default Submersible pump made water change simple

Just did my weekly water change and used a small pump. A game changer.

FREESEA 330 GPH 25W Submersible Water Pump for Pond Aquarium Hydroponics Fish Tank Fountain Waterfall https://a.co/d/eBP41zD
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Submersible pump made water change simple

I use the Ehiem Universal 1262 water pump, output 900 GPH.

DSCF0734.JPG

5fe8e72f.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Greg

I used a smaller submersible recently and yes, much faster than a gravel vac. But I have a gravel substrate and need to vacuum at least every other WC.
    I'm setting up a holding tank where I can then pump back in so I can graduate from 5 gallon buckets.
    I'm still very new at all this and learning a lot. Can't remember the last time I learned so much about a new subject in such little time. Feel like I'm back in college. :-)
    Sure appreciate the photos and seeing others' setups.

BTW, I just bought and tested 4 pumps for my son's all-in-one reef tank and I measured the output on all of them (as close to the pump as possible without restricting flow) and found them all highly overrated in terms of GPH, the results were all over the place with regard to stated volume vs. actual.

For water transfers, "enough" is good enough regardless of the stated GPH. But if you're curious, measure the output.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm lucky. I drain by gravity out to the woods. With my 1" ID hose and 1" PVC drain pipe it's fast.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm lucky. I drain by gravity out to the woods. With my 1" ID hose and 1" PVC drain pipe it's fast.
    I fill my storage barrel and circulate the well water for a few hours with a submersible ,300gph pump and then pump the water to the tank with the same pump.
    The tank water is siphoned out the old fashion way[ patience required] into the waste water barrel which is pumped out to the out side into the woods with a 600 gph submersible.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I use a similar approach where the fish room is filled with double decker stands. The fish tanks are on the top so they're easy to see and easy to drain with a siphon. The lower deck has old, empty tanks I use for water conditioning and pumps to refill the top tank.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I just ordered a hyggar rated 400gph, as the python system is too slow. Also I have a sand substrate and clean it thorough once a week. Fun times

Real Name
    Dave

I drain out the dining room window into the yard

Occasionally drain into buckets to water plants.

Registered Member

I been using the Mag pump.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

I want that pump....turns cobalt discus green

I have a 165 gallon vertical storage tank I use to "age" my water and in the bottom I have a Superior Utility Pump Model #91359. It is an oil free pump that puts out up to 2880 gallons per hour. I have it plumbed in the storage tank with 1 inch hose and a pvc loop that allows me to recirculate it into the storage tank or divert it into a 1 inch hose that goes around the room to fill up tanks with a j hook design and a ball valve. I got it from Amazon in their Amazon Warehouse section for $56 bucks. Its powerful and loud but does the job LOL.

those utility pumps are the best, but I could never sound the noise. My fish room is whisper quite and I like it that way.
    Mama Bear

The pump is only on if I am out of the room and it is in recirculation mode or if I am in the process of doing water changes. The sound doesn't bother me, it kinda goes well with the air stone noise LOL.

Real Name
    Tom

Well I guess I’ve got it easy . I also drain by gravity. But I first fill 4 5gal buckets to rinse all by filter material in. Than gravity to the sink I added. My water quality is good enough for me to just use an undercounter filter from the tap to the tank. Last year I added the temp valve that holds the temp to what I want. But I still take my time. Takes about 2hrs to clean both tanks.A3BFE1EA-59C6-4B44-A599-8F9B0DFC1D26.jpgDA47FDD3-DE12-4934-9DB1-722371D94183.jpg

I take advantage of my water changes to water/fertilize my garden.

20230519_182854.jpg

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th