AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New fish white spot? Fungus?

Default Re: New fish white spot? Fungus?

Quote Originally Posted by jsweeten View Post
    Liz, I don’t see a post from you, other than this one.
    Not from me, from Al.

Administrator
    brewmaster15's AvatarJoin Date
    Apr 2002
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    221 (100%)
    Hi,
    Can you post a pic of the other side of the fish. Those are infected pores.. think of it like a pimple as Mervin said. When they get that infected one of two things usually happen, they rupture and leave an open hole that can heal in time .The other is they can become a bad abscess and then systemic.

From what I can see I think netting the fish and swabbing the area with hydrogen peroxide may help open it up. Its not a good sign if the fish has lost appetite. You may need an antibiotic if the swabbing doesnt help.
    Its not difficult to do this but try to avoid the eyes and gills. Have everything laid out ahead of time.

Hth,
    Al
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Al, I have swabbed and it has seemed to open up. See picture. Now what next? 2CF08531-2C9A-4368-B9F8-DAC0A4232BF8.jpg

Registered Member

It’s not fungus, it’s not a parasite and it’s not a bacterial abscess.
    Just leave the fish alone and continue with frequent water changes

Al will have to comment on what to do next, but I know he'll agree that you should you start doing WC like Mervin suggested earlier. Clean water is the key to healthy discus, even more so while and after it has problems.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Are you recommending daily? Every other day? More than 30%? Thanks

My fish are healthy and I still do 30 to daily. Like Mervin said, it's hard to tell you how much daily without knowing if you have aged your water and checked to see if the pH is close to the same when you check them both.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    It’s not fungus, it’s not a parasite and it’s not a bacterial abscess.
    Just leave the fish alone and continue with frequent water changes
    Hi Andy, I agree on the frequent water changes, but have to disagree....that is definitely
    a Bacterial abscess. If this member just leaves this fish alone and tries to treat with just water changes, I am fairly sure the fish will not survive. This kind of infection is well documented on the forum....
    Here is an example of the Sores rupturing that may be related to what you are seeing,,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=hole+in+fish

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=Hole+in+fish

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=Hole+in+fish

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=Columnaris

jsweeten,
    As it stands now , what started as probably a water quality issue has turned into a full blown bacterial infection. I have to be 100% honest, at this point the prognosis, is not very good. I'm sorry. If you have a hospital tank it would be best to move that fish to it. The medicine you mentioned by tetra will not help for something like this as its not absorbed by the fish ...its not really antibiotic. Its useful for some things but not this.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-19-2023 at 05:08 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks for your response Al. Is this something that would be contagious to the other fish?

Its gotten much harder to find antibiotics but these are medications that may help and should be available...

https://fritzaquatics.com/products/mardel-maracyn-2 Chewy has this...https://www.chewy.com/fritz-aquatics...-two/dp/164573

https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...%2C156&sr=8-56
    contains Doxycycline

https://www.amazon.com/AquaCura-Kana...2C156&sr=8-103
    kanamycin

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-19-2023 at 05:27 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsweeten View Post
    Thanks for your response Al. Is this something that would be contagious to the other fish?
    Most likely not, Its usually something that really starts as small pimples, pores that get infected and they usually will just rupture and heal on their own, but sometimes they don't and and they become very infected. The key here is tank hygiene. These "pimples" as we call them are really a symptom of a sub optimal tank hygiene for discus. If you up your water changes and clean the tank well frequently your other fish should be fine.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thanks Al. I’ve ordered the Kana-Cura but won’t arrive until Wednesday. Fingers crossed he makes it til then. Otherwise I’ll be doing daily 30% WC going forward.

Registered Member

It’s a zit.
    You pop it and move on

It is not "just a zit" andy. It's past that point. Besides, how do you pop a zit on a Discus anyway. Please tell me. I would like to know.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Zits, pimples are caused by bacteria getting under the skin. This using shows up in discus that need more and larger WC's. This has been the first step to rid zit's on this forum from what I've read on here over the years. They are usually gone in a day or so after better maintenance has been done. I myself would not use H2O2 on a wound. I know folks have been doing that for years but it is not the correct way to heal a wound. It actually destroys/oxidizes good tissue too, which it looks like it has in this case making it look bigger. Looks like antibacterial or antibiotic would be needed now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Zits, pimples are caused by bacteria getting under the skin. This using shows up in discus that need more and larger WC's. This has been the first step to rid zit's on this forum from what I've read on here over the years. They are usually gone in a day or so after better maintenance has been done. I myself would not use H2O2 on a wound. I know folks have been doing that for years but it is not the correct way to heal a wound. It actually destroys/oxidizes good tissue too, which it looks like it has in this case making it look bigger. Looks like antibacterial or antibiotic would be needed now for sure.
    Everyone has their opinion Mervin, and you are welcome to yours. But just some clarification here Your statement about using hydrogen peroxide creating the need now for an antibiotic is really nutz. Honestly if 1+1 = 4 just because we want it to be the answer 4 we would all have dead fish. Cleaning out a sore with a swab of peroxide did not create that wound. You mention that you would not use it? so you basically do not know just how little Hydrogen peroxide on a swab we are talking about and how quickly its diluted once the fish is back in a tank of water. I have used it many many times on many wounds.. Knock it if you want, but it can be a valuable tool when used for some things.

You are advising someone in need based on what you have read here on the forum. In most cases that is correct, a small "pimple" will clear up on its own. .. but just like in humans , a small pimple can get infected badly. When that happens no amount of water changes alone will save the fish. The fish in this case was clearly beyond a simple pimple.. Simple pimples don't make the fish hang out at the bottom of the tank listless and go off their feed. Waters changes prevent alot, but they aren't a cure-all once a fish is so far along in an infection.

If I give someone any advice or suggestions on how to treat something its always based on what I have personal experience with. If it isn't something I have experience with I will state that plainly and offer the best info I can. I take that role extremely seriously. The goal we all have in this section is to try and help people with sick fish...That is not always easy to do but we make the suggestions with the best intent based on what we know of the issue, and I would hope we use first hand experiences to do this.

Regards,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-20-2023 at 07:43 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast