AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A superb ingredient

Default A superb ingredient

I don't post here much anymore because I don't create recipes, I look around on line that rings my bell. I've been on an Asian jag for about a year now. Usually when I get a hankering for Cantonese/American I think about what I have on hand and look for it on https://thewoksoflife.com/ I've learned a lot there, too.

What I want to say is that the quality of the ingredients can make or break a dish. I made a rare stop to the Asian Grocery and one of the things I picked up was some high quality sesame oil. I could not believe how much like sesame seeds it tastes.

I also discovered that their frozen Won Tons are even more ugly than my own, and don't taste as good as mine. It's sure a lot of work, but I'm in it for the quality. I can beat their quality. As soon as my store bought ones are used up, I'll make up my own batch.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: A superb ingredient

Make yr own is better, buy the wonton wrap from the Asian supermarket and wonton dumpling press.

5AA44FDD-1F7B-4AF3-A616-721B3CB95BC8.jpg

11AE8C7B-AA46-4120-B25D-FC813D90A9A5.jpeg

https://www.amazon.ca/Helen-Chens-As...n&sr=1-20&th=1
    Grasshopper
    Francis

That would be fine way to fold other dumplings, but I want to make the ones that look like a little hat. I tried to follow the instructions with picture, but it takes a lot of practice to get the muscle memory of the right way to fold.
    Mine were still not as ugly as the store bought. They tasted better, too. I'll make more soon. First I need to make the Chinese BBQ pork. That stuff is to die for and I can use it in so many recipes.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

I follow Lau’s cooking method at home.

BBQ Pork/char siu

https://youtu.be/zkCoAKTbHpQ
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Thanks. I'll watch it now. It might be better than what I make from Woks of Life.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

My stove at home is electric and cannot match the restaurant fire stove.

Wok hei can only be achieved under conditions of intense heat, at levels that are difficult to achieve without a commercial cooking range. The wok should always be heated until it just begins to smoke before adding cold oil. Never heat up the oil together with the wok or the food will stick and begin to char.
    In a classic stir-fry, the food has to be tossed about non-stop. Exceptional chefs demonstrate their skill by momentarily tossing the cooking flames into their woks. Never crowd the wok with too much food or temperatures will plummet and the food will end up being steamed.

https://guide.michelin.com/en/articl...hat-is-wok-hei
    Grasshopper
    Francis

I follow Lau, too. I missed that video, though. I'll go ahead and make it his way this time if I have the right bean curd. I know I have everything else.

When I bought my new stove I bought one with a gas burner that gets up to 8,000 BTU. I know that's still not restaurant hot, but it's a far sight better than your electric. I have an outside burner run by a little propane tank. It gets restaurant hot. I might try making a stir fry in it when the weather warms back up.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't post here much anymore because I don't create recipes, I look around on line that rings my bell. I've been on an Asian jag for about a year now. Usually when I get a hankering for Cantonese/American I think about what I have on hand and look for it on https://thewoksoflife.com/ I've learned a lot there, too.

What I want to say is that the quality of the ingredients can make or break a dish. I made a rare stop to the Asian Grocery and one of the things I picked up was some high quality sesame oil. I could not believe how much like sesame seeds it tastes.

I also discovered that their frozen Won Tons are even more ugly than my own, and don't taste as good as mine. It's sure a lot of work, but I'm in it for the quality. I can beat their quality. As soon as my store bought ones are used up, I'll make up my own batch.
    Liz, I use to be a Won Ton wrapped back in the 60's for my Uncle's restraint Sun Hung Heng in San Francisco. At my peak I could
    wrap around 10 to 12 per min. Customers would gather around me while I was wrapping, I would tell them fresh Won Ton.

I have read that people who make them as their livelihood can actually make them like a machine while carrying on a conversation. It blows my mind. I'm slow and careful, but I made 40 once (took forever) and only 1 looked like a proper Won Ton. That's when I decided to buy them frozen at the Asian Grocery. The problem is, not only were they ugly they didn't taste nearly as good as the ones I make.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I love to cook. But there are some things, for me, done at a restaurant.
    Clearly, in our kitchen, these wontons are better off eaten at a restaurant.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    I love to cook. But there are some things, for me, done at a restaurant.
    Clearly, in our kitchen, these wontons are better off eaten at a restaurant.
    There is a certain way to cook these Won Ton, they should be made of pork mostly. One can boil these Won Ton and as soon as they float to the top they are done any longer it's over cook.

Yes, I've learned that they're done when they float. I don't know what ratio of pork to veggies I used last time. I used the Woks of Life recipe and they were as good as any Won Ton I've had anywhere.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yes, I've learned that they're done when they float. I don't know what ratio of pork to veggies I used last time. I used the Woks of Life recipe and they were as good as any Won Ton I've had anywhere.
    As my wife would say they must be made with love

Real Name
    Francis

Liz, chicken wontons are good too.

https://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-won...C_q22yPNcfgmSs
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Liz….. Chinese Steamed Fish Recipe, I would substitute red peppers with red chillies.

]https://youtu.be/hbbXtkR0U1E
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast