ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: First time with Asian Discus

Registered Member

Default First time with Asian Discus

Hey all.
    I’m starting a journal on my Asian discus that I’ve been growing out the last few months. I’ve always kept stendker before but took the leap and and trying out some Asian strains. I plan on some breeding projects especially with my super pantheras and would like to try some Albino crosses or some golden leopard SS crosses with them as well if they end up pairing up. My current stock list is as follows

Golden Indiana tiger x4 NA discus
    Checkerboard pigeon x1 NA discus
    Blue diamonds x4 Tony Tan
    Albino platinums x3 NA discus
    Super Panthera x1 Robert Lim
    Panthera x1 NA discus
    Golden leopard spotted SS x1 NA discus
    Coming soon- Albino turquoise from Robert Lim, more Panthera from Tony tan, golden leopard SS from Tony tan.

My goal is to find a strain I can breed with my super pantheras to created a golden super panthera but am still learning how this can be done so any advice would be great.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: First time with Asian Discus

A large percentage of "Goldens" today are pigeon based golds. Using PB's can be a quicker approach but you risk seeing a lot of throwbacks to previous generations and inconsistency in color and pattern. I would want to use brown based golds, but they are hard to find and fairly weak so in using brown based you risk overall size. I believe your Panthera's from Robert Lim are brown based. Pantheras from other breeders should be brown based as well, but the term is gaining popularity and the name is being used loosely, just like the names Rose Red, Red Cover and San Merah. Either way you choose, it'll take several generations to achieve what you want.