AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Default Filtration

Would a Fluval Biomax filter take care of biomass and bioload particles?

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Filtration

are you referring to a cannister filter with the Biomax media?

If so it would take care of biomass, but you would need a foam filter on the return line to keep the particles that pass through the filter from getting back in the tank.

frequent water changes and substrate vacuuming are the best way to handle the detritus that gets past your filter (sometimes this is in your filter hoses).
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    are you referring to a cannister filter with the Biomax media?

If so it would take care of biomass, but you would need a foam filter on the return line to keep the particles that pass through the filter from getting back in the tank.

frequent water changes and substrate vacuuming are the best way to handle the detritus that gets past your filter (sometimes this is in your filter hoses).
    Yes, I always get crud out of the substrate with each vacuuming. Not much though.

Coincidentally, I just cleaned the hoses on my Fluval 307 canister last night at 10pm and a bunch of particles came out. I was surprised. I was prompted to clean them because I thought the intake was restricted somehow because the canister will make a whooshing sound and blow a few fine bubbles about every 60 seconds leading me to think the pump is starving for water.

But I've not had particles returning to tank, theres a lot of sponges in there and sometimes I run a polishing pad. Any thoughts on the air?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok bio-max is a media for a filter. Sponge works just as well and is much cheaper. What bio-max does is give bacteria surface area to grow on. That’s it. No other benefits it’s just like sponge. Why do you think you need it?

Ok what’s on the inside of your hoses is bio-film. This will build up on the inside of any hose or tube. Best every few months to take an aquarium wire brush and run it through your hose and then run water through it in to your sink. Clean it up. When turning your filter back on this bio-film is loosened up and ends up in the tank if not cleaned regularly. Now the air coming out just means the filter isn’t fully primed. Shut it off for a minute then turn it back on. If still doing it shake the filter and see if the air comes out and it stops. If not you may have an air leak somewhere in the system. Main reason I don’t use canisters!! Way to many ways to have problems!.

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks Tom, learning every day!
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~