ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO Re-mineralization product.

Default RO Re-mineralization product.

For those that use Ro filters .. the water is usually re-mineralized by adding mineral solutions or as I do here, adding back some tap water. I usually use 80-90% RO..to 10-20% tap water.

With my current interests being what they are I was thinking about how that just seems alot of work and mineral solutions are costly in the long run. I started thinking about passing the RO water through a mineral chamber filled with various minerals that could leach into the Ro water.. calcium seems to be a big part of many re-min solutions.. would be easy to put back using crushed oyster shells from the feed store.. argonite would be better for flow. Thats about as far as I got before realizing most good ideas have probably been thought up. and wouldnt you know it.. a one minute search of Amazon found this..

Screenshot_20230324-082138_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230324-082209_Chrome.jpg

Do any of you use this or have you tried it. I read the reviews and questions and it seems legit.. it looks to just attach right to the RO output water line.

Im not sure if anyone has brought this up before but seems like a potentially useful product to fish keepers. Its hard to nail down exactly whats put back by it in any ppms .

I'm guessing theres other similar products out there..maybe its an area worth exploring more.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-24-2023 at 08:35 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: RO Re-mineralization product.

I've looked into these as well. It seems to me that you may be able to use a refillable unit, place it inline where the DI cartridge goes and achieve a targeted result, and you could add the media of your choice.

But, would these produce a stable and consistent infusion of minerals or would it require the water to be used periodically to allow the water to saturate, as in a drinking system?

I'm not sure about this piece, but some I've seen contain a questionable quality of the mineral contents depending on where they are manufactured.

For now, I just remineralize with waste water.

Brian is there a reason why you decided on the waste water verses the tap?
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

Without analyzing anything, my waste water TDS is within maybe 10 or less of my tap TDS, and it's been run through a sediment filter and carbon block. I've never had any issues at all. Plus, I'm frugal and don't want to pay the water company any more than I have to, lol...

The main reason I was looking into those remineralizing cartridges was because I drink RO water, which isn't the healthiest but contains none of the added ingredients that water companies use. Plus, it taste better to me. The application for my discus was just brain storming and I may look into it down the road, but it's not a priority because of my success with waste water...

Real Name
    Mervin

I used to make my own, but wasn't for re-mineralization. It was for African Cichlids. Those ingredients are easy to find, some in the grocery store. Such as No-salt for potassium. It also says ect. so if you look up recipes on the internet, you can find then, even some with micro- and macro-nutrients. Way cheaper than the bottled stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I used to make my own, but wasn't for re-mineralization. It was for African Cichlids. Those ingredients are easy to find, some in the grocery store. Such as No-salt for potassium. It also says ect. so if you look up recipes on the internet, you can find then, even some with micro- and macro-nutrients. Way cheaper than the bottled stuff.
    I agree there.. somewhere on the forum theres a thread with some diy recipes... it was awhile back.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al
    I just ordered this one to try out. I get a PH of 5.5 and a TDS of 20 out of my RO. It's a 300 gpd iSpring unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBLGD1S...roduct_details

51SlninLKgL._AC_SX569_.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Chuck,
    Please Let us know how that works out for you..

from the amazon link..

The minerals from the alkaline filter are natural calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium ions, and others readily found in natural mineral water, which can be absorbed 100% by the human body
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Chuck,
    Please Let us know how that works out for you..

from the amazon link..

al
    I will and I might try other brands like the one you posted. The one on order should arrive today.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Ok so far my RO parameters are

Straight RO Ph 5.5 - 5.4 TDS 10-20 KH 0 and GH O
    RO with with the new mineral filter PH 5.98 TDS 50 KH 2 GH 2 (API master test kit)

I am doing a 55 gallon drum so we will see the end results when it's full. Meantime I ordered a second one to see if it improves with 2 back to back. I think it will take more than one for the results I am looking for. One thing if I aerate the PH starts rising quite a bit. I will update as I go.

PS. Al I keep forgetting to order ABW's
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 03-27-2023 at 05:43 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Update:

This morning the 55-gallon Barrel was full. These are the parameters just with a circulating pump no air stone. I will age 24 hrs. with heat and see the results since these are better than I thought. The second cartridge should arrive today, but I have to use up the aged water that I have on my 2nd barrel. I hope these cartridges last to be worth it. Also, I would like to run some more test (calcium, iron and phosphate).

PH = 6.16
    KH= 3
    GH = 3

20230328_051110.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

I think I need to calibrate the PH/TDS when I get home make sure that number is correct. The GH & KH I did the test 3 times.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Interesting results so far... Please do calibrate the meters, some of mine drift like crazy.

PS. Al I keep forgetting to order ABW's
    I see you remembered...That order is on the way! Thanks!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Update as of this morning with calibrated Hanna Gro Line PH/EC/TDS meter. It all looks good with tank 2 this is with a recirculating pump no air stone. Now the question is how long they will last. I am sure others might have similar results except for the 100% calcite filters that most likely will raise the PH and KH only. I chose the above filter for the brand name is the same as my RO unit iSpring and for the price.

tank #1 One Alkaline cartridge:

KH = 3
    GH = 3

Tank1.jpg

tank #2 Two Alkaline cartridges:

KH = 4
    GH = 4

Tank2.jpg

iSpring 300 gpd converted to 400 gpd (added an extra 100 gpd membrane) so I can fill faster.

iSpring.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

tank #2 Two Alkaline cartridges in series:
    55 Gallon drum
    PH = 7.01 (turned on air stone for 15 min started at 6.79)
    KH = 5
    GH = 4
    TDS = 70
    Phosphate = 0
    Calcium = < 20 (1 drop)
    Iron = 0
    chelated Iron = 0

The PH once it's in the tank should stabilize as long as it has enough KH to sustain acid produced by the cycle (bacteria).
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast