AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sponge cleaning process after QT

Real Name
    Greg

Default Sponge cleaning process after QT

I took out one of the 4 tall sponges in my canister filter to start up a qt tank for an emergency qt treatment and used nitrofurazone in the qt. I put the tall sponge into the HOB and did water changes and also vacuumed the bottom daily. Put the fish back into the main discus tank only to have the infection return immediately, but that's another story I posted about.

Question is, does this sponge now need sanitizing before returning to the canister? What's the best process?
    Same for the tank. After a qt treatment, is the proper routine to sanitize and dry out everything?

Otherwise I know the only cleaning sponges in the system should get is rinsing in tank water.
    Thanks. Greg

Default Re: Sponge cleaning process after QT

If the sponge was in a hospital or qt tank I sanitize the sponge. What i do is rinse it well and put it in a pan of boiling water for 20 mins to 30 mins...let it cool and air dry sponge.

Alternatively I use the microwave.. put the sponge in a gal zip lock bag.. fill the bag with water about 1/3 to one half.. leave bag cracked open and microwave until full boil...air dry.

Be care of steam burns!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: Sponge cleaning process after QT

Thank you!