ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ideal temp

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Ideal temp

So my discus aren’t juvies anymore, but after a huge sump/tank cleanup yesterday I decided to increase the temp in my discus tank from around 82F to 86F. I have cardinals, some sterbai, rummy nose and bristlenose plecos.

I know that raising the temp increases metabolism and appetite, decreases dissolved O2, but I wanted to see how increasing the temp may change behavior/colors.

What temp do people keep their adult discus tanks?

Default Re: Ideal temp

You are probably going to get a range of replies from 81 to 86F... personally I keep non breeding adults between 84-86F... but I am not obsessed with keeping it at that temp. A degree either way doesnt concern me. Most of the time I dont even check except by sticking my hand in the tank.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

I keep everything except non-eaters at 82. Non-eaters 86-93 depending on the seriousness...

82 for me as well. I don't obsess over a couple of degrees higher. I do obsess about anything lower.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

my tank has two Fluval E300 heaters which are set for 81 degrees. So they will alert me if they go three degrees too low or three degrees too high by changing the color of their LED screen.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks all- leave it at the 86F and see how the discus do. Hopefully that is not too warm for my cardinals and corys