AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Discuss Disease

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: New Discuss Disease

Here is the latest:

I finished 14 days of paraguard yesterday, and 8 of 9 fish seem to be doing well.

I have upped my water changes to every other day.

I did have a very unfortunate 9-hour power outage while I was away overnight last weekend. I was worried that I would lose more fish, but they all seemed ok when the power was back on and I got home. I did an immediate water change.

However, I have one fish that is looking very bad to my new to discus eyes. This is an updated video, and he is the last 30 seconds. He seems overly thin, peppered, and stressed. https://youtu.be/MqYp4g-LWrs

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for what, if anything, to do for that one fish.

Greg that last fish needs to be in a hospital tank for tlc, lots of food, and observation. I suspect he has internal issues .

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

The update here is that the fish is in a hospital tank still acting lethargic, eating sparingly, and generally looking about the same. I saw it eat a tiny bit of FDBW right before this video was taken. https://youtube.com/shorts/M1ZzQvOJhto?feature=share

I am wondering if I should start on a medication for parasites or other disease.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg

Bumping this in case anyone sees it. 8 of 9 fish seem to be doing great. Active, alert, eating well, etc.

The last fish is in a 10 gallon hospital. Lethargic, thin, and barely eating (hasn't eaten in 24 hours I don't think, only a blackworm or two per day before that).

Any ideas on what to do next?

Greg,
    I would suggest a course of Metronidazole, Normally I would wait until you saw other symptoms such as off colored feces.The fish is really emaciated, if this caused by hexamita, metro may help. Its honestly a shot in the dark but if It was mine and I was going to try and save it I would start with metro here...then deworm. Metro is one of those medicines that probably takes the record for conflicting advise on its dosing and water temps.. My suggestion is 500 mg per 10 gals water.. dose daily after very large water changes..do this for 10 days. Tank temperature in the mid 80s is fine.

I would also see if you can scrounge up some live foods for the fish... You may be able to fine Live Brine shrimp at petshops that cater to salt water critters.. Live Blackworms are good if you can find them and you can also try your garden variety of earth worms... very small ones..

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12