AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Medications to keep on hand

Registered Member

Default Medications to keep on hand

I know that good water chemistry, clean tank and water changes, water changes, water changes, etc. are vital for healthy fish. My question is what are the important medications to have on hand. I have a hospital tank, metronidazole, Kana-Cura, epson salts, although not a med. What other meds are important to have on hand in the case of an illness? I’m sure this has been asked multiple times but could not really find anything to specific in search. Thanks for your input.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Medications to keep on hand

The only ones I've kept on hand were the ones that Al has in his QT procedure thread. Those medications are Praziquantel and Levamisole. In addition the those, I've kept pure Metronidazole on hand, pure Nitrofurazone, as well as a large bag of regular salt such as this bag from Home Depot.

Registered Member

Thanks for your response and the link!

Real Name
    Brian

I keep the same as Jake with the hopes I'll never have to use them.

Kanamycin for internal bacterial infections. Nitrofurazone for external bacterial issues, which can happen if you bring in new arrivals, and can also be used along with Kanamycin. I have a huge jug of Metro that I've never used, but if an illness brings on a case of Hex, I have it on hand, although high heat alone cures most cases if caught early. Levamisole and Prazi for use during the QT process.