AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Tank Set-up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Default New Tank Set-up

I have a Fluval Power Filter, which will house a foam filter, activated carbon, and an ammonia insert. Fluval says I can put a biomax insert into this unit as well. I will have to check to see if another media will even fit into this Fluval. I've seen what I believe are column, vertical filters for inside the tank. They can be about two inches in diameter, and about eight inches tall. What are these called? Are they filters for bio? My set-up will not include any substrate, maybe a plant or two. I will continue to use AquaSafe to clean up tap water during water changes, and will continue to add salt after water changes. Is this all right? If a bio filter does not fit into the Fluval, I was thinking maybe these columns inside the tank will work, if that is exactly what they are, and a foam filter on my intake into the Fluval. What are the columns called, so I can research them? With regards to using tap water... Will it be all right for the discus to be in contact with tap water for a half an hour, while I clean the tank and do water replacements? Are discus so sensitive, that I will need to treat/prepare the tap water before putting it into the tank? Right now, I do not have discus. Right now, I'll do the water change, then when done, I'll treat the water. I feel that treating the water after every single siphon is extremely wasteful, and possibly unnecessary. Right now, I do use an under gravel filter with two vertical air tubes. Without substrate, I will have to figure out how to hold this down, or maybe I won't need them. Thanks for your input! [end of message]

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New Tank Set-up

How big is your tank? What type of power filter? Undergravel won’t work for discus or without gravel. I think the filters you’re talking about are called internal filters.
    Are you keeping fish now or will this be your first tank? You should know your water. Ph,kh and gh. Also test for ammonia and nitrate. After testing let the water sit for 24hrs and test again. Wright down your results both times and tell us if anything changes. If your water needs to be treated you will have to prepare it or age it. If it’s ok just adding safe as your refilling should be enough.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

I have a 55 gallon tank with a Fluval Power Filter, pictured, rated at 200 GPH(gallons per hour). I suspected that an undergravel filter may not be good for discus', but why? Is it because it gives more hiding places for waste? Your comment about gravel is not clear to me; please clarify. I will be taking out the gravel for discus'. I have had fish, a 55 gallon tank, for about 30 years. Others consider me as experienced. I have had everything from the basics, to African Cichlids, to my current South American Cichlids. I plan to pair discus' with South American German Ram Cichlids, an Angel, a cat, a South American Pleco, and maybe some hatchet's for the surface. I've never had hatchets, but am considering them now.
    Dave

Undergravel filters are something I have used with discus a really long time ago. If I was to have a gravel tank I might entertain one.. they work well enough until they dont.But I am not a fan of gravel beds with Discus. My first discus tank had one....both undergravel filter and a deep gravel bed...It was not ideal for discus. I really do not recommend them.though. Honestly, with Discus you want to keep it simple., at least at first. Start with a bare bottom tank. A reliable heater, good water and easy to clean filtration... air driven sponges, hang on the back filters or cannisters can all work. Forget adding other species initially.. just keep discus in the tank. Learn the fish, what they like and what they dont... then you can try adding substrates, dither fish etc. Can you set up the tank as you currently have planned and succeed? yes possibly. HOWEVER, you will probably have a more pleasant trip up the learning curve if you take my advice. Either way I welcome you to the hobby here and hope you will share your progress in a tank Journal thread. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Al
    Ps.. its an old thread but..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-30-2023 at 09:01 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Agree with Al. KISS

Real Name
    Tom

An undergravel filter needs to be under gravel. The gravel becomes the media. The air pump or power filter pulls water through the gravel where the gravel holds bacteria that eats the waste being pulled through it. So without gravel all it’s doing is moving water.
    As Al said they’re just not good for discus. Even with gravel lots of waste builds up under the filter. This build up will create problems. And you will need to empty the tank yearly to clean under the filter. Just not practical any more.
    Next that fluval really isn’t enough filter. With an hob you like to move 8-10 times the water volume hourly. So for a 50 you’d like to move about 4-5hundred gal an hour. For a second filter for that tank the odyssea 250 for $20 would be great (no I have no stock in company just find it a cheap reliable filter). This can be found on eBay.