ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Different discus strains in one aquarium vs only one strain

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Different discus strains in one aquarium vs only one strain

It is always said that beauty is on the eye of the beholder which is true. My question is what generally looks more natural and eye catching. Is it keeping just one strain of discus fish in the entire aquarium example keeping about 7 turquoise only in a 5x2x2 feet aquarium or mix red's,blues,yellow solids with leopard,snake skin etc.
    Next to prevent pecking is it better to keep say one to two female ratio while buying large discus of around 5 to 6 inch size.
    Last edited by ganesan; 03-30-2023 at 02:37 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Different discus strains in one aquarium vs only one strain

I had a mix of strains. If I were do get more discus I'd get the 5-6" range all in the same strain. I think one strain looks nicer now. Blue strains or spotted strain. You're correct it depends on the beholder and you'll get other opinions. If I had a 150 gal tank I'd put least 10-11 discus in it at least. You might loss one or two so get a few extra. Try to even out male and female. Some cichlids do well with all male tanks, but I don't think I've ever heard of that with discus tanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

I too felt aquarium with just one strain of discus looked always more natural and if ever one kept more than one strain in one large aquarium its better to keep at least 4 numbers of 2 or 3 strain rather than say one red melon discus,one chequer board,one white one lemon and one blue diamond in one aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Personally I have seen both- all blue turqs that are gorgeous vs my mixture of everything. I like the diversity and colors to my tank but again it’s all personal preference.