ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: All Of A Sudden Bloated

Default All Of A Sudden Bloated

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? This female has been laying eggs in my 90 gallon tank for about 2 weeks, so I decided to throw her in a breeder tank when it started.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Bloated, not eating, hiding.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. Epsom salts, 2tsps per 10 gallons/ 3days treated.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.29 gallon, 2years of age around 5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).Since noticing of bloat 50% of tank everyday .

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? Tank has running for 2 months bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. Yes I age my waterI only age in a 55 gallon container usually every other day don't know if there is a ph swing never tested

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use? Amquel Plus, add it to the tank as needed

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _84 degrees____

- ph __6.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___

- RO water __yes__

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. I feed freeze dried black worms with bio-pigment plus and regular freeze dried black worms, beef heart mix

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to .
    08-08-2004, 04:09 A

iTrader
    Default Reisease Questionnaire - please complete

This is great! You can copy the above questionaire, paste it in your thread, fill in the blanks and anything other information you think we might need, then post ;D

Closed Thread
    Quick Navigation Disease/Sickness and Medication Top
    Posting Permissions
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may post attachments
    You may edit your posts

BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    [VIDEO] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Forum Rules

-- vB4 Default Style
    Contact Us SimplyDiscus Archive Top

Cafepress
    All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 PM.
    Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
    Copyright © 2023 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Web Hosting
    All rights reserved and copyrighted 2015, Simplydiscus LLC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: All Of A Sudden Bloated

Jim,
    That doesn't look like it Bloat from being blocked up.. It looks more like a generalized swelling from fluid and inflammation. A few things... on "
    What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. Epsom salts, 2tsps per 10 gallons/ 3days treated."

Bump this up to 2 tablespoons per 10 gallon..if this is a blockage that may help .

You mentioned the fish has been laying eggs... sometimes they become eggbound,cysts happen, and an infection sets in.We have seen this before in fish that are laying alot of eggs or repeatedly spawning at short intervals. Being honest here, There is not very good chance this fish will survive. Kanamycin Plus Metronidazole would be what I would use for an internal infection like this. I wish I could tell you it will work.. but theres so much fluid build up in that fish right now that its not likely to survive. I'm sorry.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Frank

I lost a beautiful Wild due to it being egg bound. It was sad to watch. Hope the salt helps.

Thanks Al, was not holding my breath that this might be treatable, will up the dosage and see what happens .Jim in Ohio

Hey Jim, Just checking in here. How is she doing?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Sorry for the late reply but she passed, shortly after trying the salt again. I was in the proceess of purchasing some kanamycin and she finally gave up. It must of been to much , thanks for caring Al we tried. Jim in Ohio

Jim,
    Sorry to hear you lost her. When they swell up like that its usually just not treatable. She was a nice looking fish.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

She just found a mate and started laying eggs on the filter tube, so I moved them after a couple of times. Then it just seemed like she forgot how to do it, I didn't even get time to make the water right. Well, now I've got to go searching for another female for the male. thanks again for your concern. Jim in Ohio