AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Taking the discus plunge

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Taking the discus plunge

I’ve kept fish for most of 50 years, but just recently decided to try discus when I found a local breeder. These were described as “pigeon” and “turquoise”. After reading a lot on this site, I decided against my plans of growing them out in a heavily planted tank, and instead bought a new 75 gallon tank to raise them. The basement turns out to be a much easier place for water storage and changes, plus it was a good excuse for another tank.

I’m feeding them mostly red wrigglers, which I have an almost unlimited supply of in my composting operation (gardening is another hobby!). But as you can see, they also love the FDBW I got from Al!87CA0686-76DA-4D6D-86D5-A61CB88501E0.jpg

Default Re: Taking the discus plunge

Mark, Glad to see you here! I think you made a good decision on raising them out in a bare bottom tank and that 75 gal will give them plenty of growing room.

Red wigglers can be a great food item. I used to have several cultures going here at a time for both my fish and amphibians. I should probably start one up again for my critters. Glad to see your fish are enjoying the blackworms!

I hope you can post updates as these grow, It will be interesting to see how pigmented they are as adults..Do you know what strain(s) the parents are? Looks like a few are non pigeons ?

Welcome again!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome aboard! Here's an old thread you may enjoy http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...1-Red-Wigglers

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum Your guys look like they are growing well. You might consider creating a growout thread and tracking their growth here. Here's a starting place http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-Tank-Journals if you like the idea.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

4 are pigeons, 3 are turquoise. Most of the pigeons look to have quite a bit of peppering -- hoping that fades as they mature in a tank with as little black in it as possible.

I find I'm feeding much more aggressively once I moved them into the bare bottom tank, since I can see and siphon out any excess after 10-15 minutes.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Most of the fish are growing well, although one PB is a runt (but seemingly healthy). Sadly , earlier this week, the largest - a turquoise and my fav- jumped out of the tank thru the narrow gap in the back of the tank - I found it 4-5 hours later ☹️. I think it got spooked by a new filter.

Now, the remaining 6 are stressed by the change in the power structure and aren’t eating. Except for the red wrigglers!

Real Name
    Sabrina

Nice Mark!

Discus always have us buying more and bigger tanks lol

Sorry to read you lost 1

How are things going now with them?
    For the LOVE of Discus!

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Mark! Always a shame when one jumps. I’d raise the temp to 86. The warmer water should spark their appetite.

I've had suicides in the past not not for good while, thank God. It sucks. The last incident was an failed attempt. I was sitting on the sofa in the fishroom. I was on the computer. Everything was peaceful and quiet. Suddenly I heard a splash and looked up to see one of my good breeding males flat on his side on the concrete. I picked him up gently, put him back in the water and he never skipped a beat. He was lucky in two ways. First, I was right here, and second he didn't take a header and get brain damage.

It doesn't happen as often as I made it sound. I've been keeping Discus for over 20 years. It's still a kick in the head when a fish kills itself for no apparent reason.
    Mama Bear